1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I'm going to fail 9th grade.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Blakeee, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Blakeee

Hi. So recently my grades have drastically dropped from A's and B's to really low F's. It may have something to do with my anxiety or depression but I'm unsure if this is affecting it. I've never failed a grade before, and I really don't want to fail 9th but I believe I am. You need to pass English I in order to pass 9th but that is where most of my struggling is, I just can't focus and I have no motivation or anything. I feel like I'm actually trying really hard though. I'm very disappointed in myself. My friend is younger than me (also in ninth grade) but he's in English II about to enter English III next year and I'm so far behind him. Sorry if this post is a bit out of place, I just really needed to vent this out. :icon_sad:

2. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You need to find yourself a purpose. Why do you want an education? What do you want to achieve? Use your purpose to motivate yourself.

3. LD579

It might be worth talking to a school counsellor so you can see your options and potentially get some help. They often function as teacher-student liaisons and special considerations can be made. If nothing else, you'll be able to be heard and they might be able to help you make a plan to succeed, whether that is now or later.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can you possibly do credit recovery?

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! In addition to what has been mentioned above, including seeing a counselor at school (which I would encourage you to do, to start working on addressing underlying issues), you could also try speaking with your teacher(s) and see if they would allow you to complete some make-up or extra credit assignments.

It would be worthwhile to seeing a tutor as well so to have someone beside you and providing you with some motivation, which in itself could help to translate all of your efforts you have been putting in, into higher grades. Do you have peer support study groups at your school?

One way to start re-building your motivation is to belief in yourself, telling yourself that you want to get back to the grades that you once had, and then start working on a realistic action or goal plan. If you wanted to, you could talk to a teacher about it, who could provide you with some guidance in creating your goals.

What's been in your mind as of late that is preventing you from concentrating?

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The high-minded stuff is great and I'll echo this. But on the smaller scale, I got through school not by looking forward to achievements, but by working on one assignment at a time. Just getting through it and learning what I could was enough for me.

I can totally relate though-- I took English I honors in 9th grade and it was rough. That is not a class you can cruise through; you have to use your creative juices and put a lot of work into interpreting things in literature not obviously spelled out.

Ultimately though, it's what helped lay the foundation for my writing ability today. Honestly I don't remember much of the stories we read. What I remember is the way of handling reading and writing with a much higher quality. The things taught in English I are how college assignments tend to go, so don't think of it as a chill period.

7. nohalos

I'll echo what the people above me said.

1.) You have to believe in yourself. It can go a really long way. Don't lose hope just yet. Believe that you can and you will.

2.) Talking to a school counselor may help address your issues to your teachers and give you a consideration. You are in no way "fit" to handle this much of school stress and pass with flying colors. But do remember that if given the chance, you have to still work hard, and don't let go of your belief that you can and you are a strong person.

I wish you luck! (*hug*)

8. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Depression will definitely effect your focus and motivation. I could get into months long funks where I wasn't motivated to do anything. Basic survival was a chore.

Don't worry about where you stand in relation to others, everyone develops differently. Definitely talk to everyone you can, parents, counselors, teachers.

9. pde

pde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you are struggling with turning in work on time or not enough time taking tests (depression can significantly slow down your brain) I would talk to your school counselor. Another option which may be more effective is seeing a therapist/psychiatrist who could write the school counselor a note and then the counselor could communicate with your teachers. If you go to a public school, you could qualify for an IEP or 504 plan if your depression/anxiety is significantly affecting your performance.

I've learned how to tell when my depression is affecting my academic performance. When I'm not depressed I find myself procrastinating by doing things like reading, doing other homework, calling people, going out with friends. When the depression sets in, I find myself sitting around at home surfing random websites or laying on my bed for hours. I also find that I sleep around 2-3 hours more a night when I am depressed.

Try to find something you enjoy that you can look forward to doing. Try to do that thing everyday (assuming it's not too time consuming). Even if you don't want to do something that day, make yourself do it. Most of the time you will feel better after.