1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help/Advice on lesbian long distance relationship

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by socalnerd, Apr 29, 2015.

1. socalnerd

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hello, I'm new to this website and I've been looking for a place to get advice without judgement. A little background on myself... I'm a 26 year old lesbian living in So-Cal... I have a full time job which takes up most of my time. I'm currently in a long distance relationship with a beautiful lady who's 23 she lives across the country. when I was younger I had my first serious relationship which lasted 6 years lived together...the whole shabang after that i dated a bit and found myself in this relationship.

I've never met this girl in person but we are in constant communication, texting, calling and skyping every possible min. of the day. To make a long story short I just click with this girl she's everything I've ever wanted in a person the issue I'm having is that we've been dating for over two years...AGAIN we have never met in person and I've offered her to fully pay a trip for us which was set in motion but at the last min. she for one reason or another blew me off or so it seemed that way to me ... and we are trying to plan another trip for this summer but she seems reluctant in actually setting any sort of date for us to FINALLY meet up in person. Now she is living with her family (parents) and she isn't out to them... and her parents make nasty comments towards gay people every now and then which is off putting to her and makes her scared to come out, or so I think. She's also bi and has dating guys but hasn't dated one since she was in high school.

I've talked and told my story to countless friends of mine and they all seem to say the same thing to just leave her that she isn't ready... long distance never works, so on and so fourth ... but with my crazy work schedule and my added awkwardness of meeting new people. I don't know how to just date lesbians or go about dating people in my area or near me.. I really love this girl and I feel like I'm being selfish in wanting more out of this relationship but I feel as though if I'm the only one putting in some sort of effort into planning something for us to meet and she's not making any efforts I feel as though I'm wasting my time. She has also told me several times that she's going to come out to her parents but never does and I've tried breaking things off but she promises me that things will change and she'll make an effort this time but I feel as though I'm the one who is always bringing up the, "hey have you looked at places you'd like to go with me?" ON TOP OF IT ALL I have been faithful so over two years without sleeping with anyone is a long time which is another reason my friends tell me to just let this go.

Now for the questions... am I being selfish for wanting more? Does it seem like I'm asking for to much? Should I give her an ultimatum? If I do break up with her how should I even go about doing it?

Any advice/input/opinion is welcomed ... Thank you !!!

2. MonsterAnarchy

Okay, I'm only 15, but I can try to help you the best I can.

I'm currently in a long distant relationship myself, my life partner is in the navy. He came home to visit me for a month and just left a couple days ago to Bahrain. Which is a 10 hour difference from where I live.

But before that, he went into boot camp and we didn't see each other at all. We couldn't even call each other, we solely relied on letters.
    That happened for 8 weeks, then he went into different schools for the military all over the US for several months and finally came home.
    During that time period, it was very hard on the both of us, but we made it through, we are very serious in our relationship, and are planning to marry once I'm 18.

Ik you might be thinking "oh, your only 15! You can't possibly know what you want!"

Well, I've been told many times by different people that I'm mature for my age. And not only that, I'm never in a relationship cause "that guy is cute" or "this girl looks so adorable".

No. I'm very serious in relationships. You gotta be darn special if I am willing to go out with you.

Anyway, back to you.

My experience with my life partner has taught me to hang on for dear life. Next month on the 19th will be a full year since we've been official and we've gone through A LOT together.

And we are still going strong. Before he left, we weren't allowed to talk with each other (long story), but we still made ways to see each other secretly (no, we never had sex. Kinda illegal ^^")

We both put in EFFORT. That's something your girl is lacking. Really, just tell her how you feel and be honest.

Also, suggest that you can go visit her, and have her family believe that you're just a friend of hers. I know that's like lying, but I don't think she's ready to come out yet, so that's technically kind of like lying also. But anyways, maybe later on down the road, you guys can finally come out to her parents. If her parents don't accept... Who cares? You're 26 and she's 23. Both of you guys are old enough to make your decisions. But if her parents are the type to get physical after hearing that you guys are together, it's better to wait off a little bit.

Idk if I helped any, but I wish you the best of luck

3. socalnerd

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you for your advice. Just to be clear I don't have a huge issue with sex... I mean if I really wanted to have sex I could. I just don't feel like there's any sort of effort being put into a NEXT BIG STEP and like you said... obviously as a human I'm lacking intimacy and just physical contact with her. I don't mean it to be completely sexual, just a simple hand holding a kiss on the cheek someone to cuddle up to. Simple things that most people take for granted. Although I do feel like I need to be more honest with her about how I feel... I don't want to sound like a total jerk trying to push her into something she isn't ready or willing to do.. (for example) coming out to her parents ... that was her own choice yet she didn't stick by it but on the other hand don't make promises like that to your significant other if you can't hold to them. Again, another let down.

4. MonsterAnarchy

Well, I used to not be so daring until I met my life partner. He had to give me a shove when it came to seeing each other. Yes, I was very scared, cause it require sneaking out of the house. but it was all worth it. I don't regret a single thing.
    If it wasn't for him, our relationship wouldn't exist anymore. Him giving me a little shove here and there helped our relationship a lot.
    Sometimes, it is necessary to give a little shove. Obviously, don't push her. Just a nice, gentle nudge.
    Cause if I date my life partner for 2 years, and never see them (depending on the circumstances), and notice that they don't put in much effort to see me, I would be a little paranoid. And there has to come a point where you both would want to spend the rest of your lives together, if you guys are serious.
    And I'm pretty sure you guys don't want to stay together behind a screen for the rest of your lives.
    Just have an honest talk with her, and suggest you visiting, and shove. Like I said, not too hard, but not too little <3