1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Key to Forgiveness

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BlueRam13, Apr 30, 2015.

1. BlueRam13

BlueRam13 Guest

There was a girl I went to high school with. She used to pick on me about being a lesbian and one of the main people who made high school HELL for me. The thing is she's a closeted lesbian. I do hear about cases where people who are closeted often cause anti-gay bullying. After high school, I started to feel bad for her and wanted to reach out to her. She never responded and the last time we saw each other, we didn't speak. Right now, I'm on a journey where I trying to let go of the past, but this situation is hard to get over. I'm asking for advice on how to make peace with this situation.

2. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Firstly, I think it is really big of you not to be bitter towards this person. I think the closeted gay homophobe is probably quite common. It's a defence mechanism, isn't it?

Letting go of the past is hard. One way is maybe to write something down, a sort of letter to her. You don't need to send it. Just the writing of it can help. Maybe burn the letter, as a way of putting the past behind you. I know this sounds a bit mad, but it can work. It makes a symbolic break with the past.

3. Gen

Gen

Getting to the point where you were able to look past what was done to you and reach out to her was the hardest stage to reach. The next thing that you will have to make peace with is the reaction that you received. I would recommend viewing this objectively again and acknowledging the fact that she is likely struggling with overwhelming emotions right now and accepting support from you could result in her feeling even more shame considering how she treated you.

This is an instance in which forgiveness is genuinely about letting go. You seem to have made peace with the past, but you have to know that her denial is not your burden to bare. Reaching out to her was more than most would have done, but we cannot force anyone to accept the help that we offer. Now that you have enough understanding to have closure, let go of your past with her and let go of any obligation that you might feel to continue to reach out.

4. RedLynx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd like to add that what people usually do to you is actually not about you, it's about them. Because they have these buttons that are pushed. The same with you. Learn to eliminate these "buttons" so there will be nothing left to be pushed. I know this sounds a bit too idealistic, but it helped me out in forgiving those who bullied me when I was young. It's not easy to forgive, however, but it is achievable. I hope this helps :slight_smile: