1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this the worst idea I've ever had

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ilovesg, May 1, 2015.

1. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't know why I'm getting like this again but anyways. I've known im gay for a couple years but I've been feeling bad about it lately like maybe it would be best to just pretend to be straight. I know it sounds stupid but I think if I tried I could date a guy. I don't know if I could be ok with the sex but I guess I could see?? I know this sounds so self hating and I'm sure it is but I just feel like maybe that's a better way. Can someone please talk me out of this lol

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's easy to see that you know what the right thing to do is.
    You, I, and everyone on EC knows that it's incredibly hard to live a lie, especially when you already know that you're homosexual. While this shouldn't be your first concern (you are your first concern), you should also consider that it would be unfair of you to date a guy and then later break it off with him when you feel more comfortable with your sexuality.

I don't think this is the best resolution to the negative feelings you're having right now.
    Instead, I think you should try to figure out what has been making you feel bad about being gay lately. Identifying those issues and finding ways to resolve them (asking for help isn't a bad thing :slight_smile:) will be a much healthier path to go in the long run.

Like I said, I think you already know this.
    But whenever you forget or need reminding, we'll always be here for you. (*hug*)

Good luck.

3. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say go for it I did. All it really did was cause me years of being unhappy, make me hate myself even more, hurt two innocent people who fell in love with someone who couldn't love them the way they deserved, and resent being around them.

It was a ball of laughs. You should try it.

4. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    yeah I'm dumb I'm really dumb i don't know what's wrong with me :/ i need to figure something out. I'm not going to pretend to be straight. thanks for the answers and sorry if this question was stupid

5. Lyana

Don't say that, ilovesq. You're not dumb -- you're in a hard place right now and having a hard time with your sexuality. That's fine and it doesn't make you stupid. It's normal to struggle with this; many people do.

The best thing for you is to slowly learn to accept yourself, not pretend to be something you're not. Do you know why you're so uncomfortable with being gay? Why do you dislike it?

6. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't know why I'm so uncomfortable with it because I was fine for a while and now im like going backwards. I just get sad when girls at school talk about their boyfriends and their relationships and everyone thinks it's so cute and I know I'll never have that. I just wanna be like everyone else I guess. And I don't want to come out to my family. Some days I'm ok with being gay and some days are pretty rough like the last few I don't know why

7. zzhere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I find that I go through the same cycles, and I've been "out" to myself for almost eight years now. I think that, for me, the problem is just what you might have hinted at in your last post. I am okay with the fact that I'm gay, I even love that part of myself, but what's hard to deal with is the reality being gay in a world that is obviously more or less designed for straight relationships. On days when I remember how hard it's been for me to meet someone, how hard it is to picture a future for myself, I have a much harder time being happy with myself. And then of course there's internalized homophobia, which can be way more insidious than I think people even give it credit for.

I went through a similar struggle recently where I actually managed to convince myself that there was a possibility that I was at least bi, and that I could be with a man, which was a scary thought actually. I quickly realized that I had just created that conflict out of my own desire to be able to participate in what I saw as a "real relationship" (by society's standards). Still, sometimes when I feel really alone I wish that I could just find happiness with a guy, just so I could have someone.

I always try to remember that I still have deep, worthwhile friendships, hobbies and work that I love, and that eventually I may find someone who erases all of stress and loneliness. And that person will be worth waiting for. It's true that you aren't like everyone else, but when you do find someone, having dealt with that difference will make it all the more rewarding.

That's my two cents anyway. I get what you're going through though, don't feel like it's your fault for going backwards. It's completely natural.

8. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I thought I was the only one who went through cycles like this. It's really frustrating. I feel the exact same way that you do. It's weird that one day I can be totally ok with being gay and then the next I'm depressed about it :/ I'm glad it's not just me lol