1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alone and afraid

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by kane150, May 2, 2015.

1. kane150

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi I am 26 years old, still living at home. None of my family knows I am gay and I have only told my one and only friend that I was gay he was very accepting which surprised me. I've kept to myself all my life in fear that someone might figure out my secret, I've suppressed almost every feeling I've ever had. I've tried to talk to my friend he's really trying to help but he just does not know how To help. The day I decided to tell him I was gay I was fed up with myself feeling really down and needed someone to talk to, but ever since that day it's felt like a gate of emotions busted out of me, making me upset to the point where I don't even want to get out of bed anymore, I am a very shy person always have been. I just got a new job and will be moving out for the first time, and I'm scared that once I move out I will truly be alone, I get to scared to go out and just talk to people I even get scared to talk to people on the phone. I don't know what to do if I continue on this path of being shy/scared I don't see anything at the end of the tunnel. My problems have got in the way for far to long and I just don't know how to fix them.

2. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

Finally something I can relate to... I'm 25, living with my father, only one person knows my orientation (though he's also bi), and maybe I'm moving out in the near future.

The best thing you can do is identifying your fears and hang-ups, then dealing with them gradually. I'm also in that process, and by setting the goals for myself, I have something important to fight for, and I have the hope to be better than now in a number of aspects of my life.
    The worst thing you can do is doing nothing. You already know that your present state won't get you far in socializing, and that's the first step. Willing to do something to change it is the second. Doing it is the third. So all I can say is

1. Identify your problems
    2. Set your goals
    3. Make a plan for your goals
    4. Execute them

It won't be easy, but it will be worth the effort. Maybe you can also find a psychologist or therapy group. Use anything and everything that can help you reaching your goals. Good luck!

3. kane150

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you for your advice. I've identifyed problems, set goals, made plans but when it comes to actually doing it I usually just close up again and start the cycle all over. I've been like this for far to long and to afraid to ask for help from anyone. I don't want people to see me in a different light. I'm usually the one people come to for help with there problems. I put others before myself always and I really have been trying to change that.

4. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

I have been through that many times, but sooner or later one has to break the cycle, or nothing will change. I was against the idea of seeking professional help, but I realized I had to. The waiting list was too long for the university psychologist, but a few months later they offered me to take part in a stress-management and confidence-development training. I had to talk about my own shitty issues before ~10 people, talking to strangers, so it was way out of my comfort zone. But it helped in a way that now I'm not as ashamed of my problems as before, I can talk about them to other people, and even if just a bit, but I give less fucks about what they think of me or how they see me.

There's a certain social stigma of those who have issues with socializing, so no wonder it's hard to take the first steps in bringing these to the light. But I know now that every time I chickened out and slipped back into the cycle, I prolonged my own misery.

Maybe you fear that once they realize you are not the strong and reliable person who they can ask for advice, they will cease to seek your company or they will hate you. I understand your concern, but what do you think, how long can you keep up the pretending? Wouldn't it be great if you had real confidence behind the face you show to the world? It's YOU that matters, it's YOU who you have to live for in the first place, because that's the only way you can have a great life. Also, helping others will be much more easier when your life is on the right track.

Promise yourself you'll seek professional help, you owe that to yourself.

5. kane150

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It is just so hard for me to ask for help, I've thought about it some many times Gone as far as calling but hanging up before they picked up. I just get so nervous and I hate myself for it, there is not good reason I should be like this....none! I am ashamed of myself for letting myself get this bad over the years. I am just so frustrated, I feel like I'm two different people, it's really hard to keep up this act I'm afraid of what people would think about the real me, there literally is no similarities between the person people know and the one that's hiding.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all Kane150, well done in creating this thread and writing about your feelings. When you have been bottling so much up and struggling to find an outlet, it's really good that you have finally settled down (in front of your computer) to say how you really feel. I hope it's helped in some small way. So often, we think it's only possible to release our feelings by talking, but for some people, the written word is a very positive way to get things out in the open.

Coming out to your friend was an emotional release, but if you have suppressed these feelings for a long time it probably felt like an uncontrolled way of going about it. Maybe it's that uncontrolled feeling that is harder to cope with. What do you think? In the same way, the shyness and fear is uncontrolled and when we find ourselves in a position where we cannot manage our feelings it gets really stressful.

Can I encourage you to take a step back and try to turn the negatives into positives? For example, coming out to your [only] friend was a risk for you, but the risk paid off. The world didn't stop turning and he didn't reject you, in fact, he has really tried to help and support. Another example -- you have a new job and you will be moving out of the family home soon. With freedom, comes opportunity.. the opportunity for self discovery and the space to be yourself without any fear of being discovered or found out. Far from being stifling, it can be liberating.

It's very easy to view problems like a messy ball of wool, with no beginning or end and if you have nobody to share it with you'll continue to search for that beginning/end in vain.

Now that you've created this thread and started the process of sharing your feelings keep at it. You have a safe and secure place to talk about your real thoughts and feelings now, so use it well and use it often, if you need to.

Feel free to send me a private message if you would like to "talk" in more detail.

You can overcome this and find happiness. :slight_smile:

7. kane150

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you both of you for your kind words and help. PatrickUK you are right it's definitely hard to cope with not being in control, not being able to forsee how people would react to the real me. As for me moving out and having new opportunities I'm afraid I will just stay the same, nothing new just sitting wasting my life away like I have been all my life. Like I want to get out there meet people like me, maybe find a boyfriend eventually but there's that fear always in the back of my head. I know I keep going on and on over the same stuff I even find myself annoyed of myself a lot of times. I just don't see how I can change, I just don't see the positives in life.

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you say, "I'm afraid I will just stay the same", do you mean it as an affirmative statement of what will happen, or are you suggesting that it might happen? I'm sure you recognise the distinct difference in meaning. On the one hand you would be closing the door on any possibility of movement, but on the other hand you would be leaving it open and at least considering the idea.

Just wondering where you stand?

This is why I used the analogy of the ball of wool. If you are trying to find a way forward on your own, it can seem like an impossible task, but if you are brave enough to ask for help and support you can begin to see a chink of light.

I really think it would be benificial to you to consider counselling/therapy. It's a thought that may scare you and I won't pretend it's easy, but have you ever heard the expression "feel the fear and do it anyway"? Sometimes in life we have to grit our teeth and push through the barrier to gain the benefit. Just think about your new job... how easy would it have been to have closed your mind to the idea and opportunity of new employment? I'm sure you had to confront the fear of applying and being interviewed... but you did it anyway.

Staying open minded and pushing on can be difficult, but that's how we get the rewards in life.

Your friend is trying to help you and I wonder if it might be good to have him support you with making appointment and visiting a counsellor or therapist. Just having someone to back you up as you attend the first sessions could make a difference. Do you think he would do that for you?

Things to consider.

9. kane150

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am afraid of what will happen. I'm just causing doubt in my head that I can change. as for my friend to support me I'm sure he would, it's just hard because he lives Very far away now. Thank you PatrickUK you've Givin me a lot to think about.