1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling a little shameful?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by atoadaso, May 3, 2015.

1. atoadaso

atoadaso Guest

I was never raised to believe that heterosexuality was the only one correct way & all other ways were disgusting or anything. However, lately I've been feeling really ashamed of my sexuality. I came out almost two years ago. In the past month or two, I've been reading a lot of blog posts about being queer & things like that, trying to feel a little more connected to the community. I live in a really small Southern town at the moment, & I start college in August. The college I'm going to has a pride group, but it's really small & looks to be mostly cis men. Reading these blogs, I've come across a lot of "lesbian stereotypes." While I'm not technically a lesbian, I have a preference for women & female-identified/feminine-looking people. A lot of these stereotypes I find really ugly & embarrassing, & I'm starting to feel insecure & ashamed about being associated (however loosely) with the lesbian community. I know these fears are probably ridiculous, but I don't really have access to a strong queer community at the moment, & could use some reassurance I guess. :icon_redf

P.S. Sorry if this was really long!

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well you could realize that the internet is a vast array of information.
    It depends on you to navigate to surroundings you feel comfortable with.
    If you look for confusing information you will find it.
    If you look for nice people with sane views you will find that also.

Its often that some kind of vibe is transmitted with the websites.
    I therefore would not delve into too emotional comments, etc. If you know it its easily discernable, and can be avoided.
    Those comments are not representative for the majority.

hugs

3. RedLynx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with jay777. The key there is discernment. I too also got most of my knowledge regarding the LGBT+ community on the internet. You'll get all sorts of stuff from downright rubbish to profoundly helpful. :slight_smile: