1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not So Confident About College

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by WolfyFluff, May 4, 2015.

1. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

This will be my third attempt at attending college this fall, and I haven't been confident about it.

The first time I panicked at the difference between high school and college, and I immediately dropped all my classes within two weeks. I just stopped making an effort. I registered for the semester afterward, and I dropped a couple of classes but passed just two classes. Then I stopped going after that for a few years.

A few years late, I attempted the second time. I was forcing myself to believe everything will be okay. I didn't like the teachers, I didn't like the other students, and I started to feel overwhelmed with everything. It took about two months before I dropped everything and withdrew. I was afraid of failing because of an academic probation thing I had to fulfill.

The third attempt I need to go back if I want to do something with my life, but I'm not so enthusiastic about it. The only reason I feel like doing it is to save up money on move out of town. I don't know if I care about school anymore or just fooling myself into believing that I'm capable of accomplishing anything at all.

I don't know what to think. I don't want to miss an assignment and get behind on everything because of that stupid little assignment. I surely don't want to hear stupid backhanded compliments from the god awful instructors who seem to enjoy torturing students. I definitely don't want to interact with other students because all they seem to do is be deceitful and abusive to everyone they meet.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For what it's worth, you don't get to drop out of life, and my experience has shown that it is hardly easier. I'd advise taking the classes you think will help you most and really throwing yourself at them. You will thank yourself. :slight_smile:

Your opinions of teachers and other students hardly sound healthy. How many of them do you think are people like you just trying to get by? And a fair number of teachers would be very hurt if you told them how you felt about their predilection for "torturing" students.

3. UniversalLover

It all comes down to what you truly want at the core of your being. Do you want to finish school? If so, you need to focus on your work, and doing the best you can, and give no energy to the thoughts regarding ignorant instructors or immature peers.

If, on the other hand, you truly do not want to finish school, that is fine too, but you'll need an alternate plan. A job, or some other form of education that is right for you possibly.

At the end of the day, you have to do what is right for you, and there is only one person who can decide that for you. Yourself.

4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    College isn't for everyone. That being said, would it be possible for you to go to another school? Perhaps one with better teachers, a better community, some place that you actually feel good about going to? The university I went to wasn't the largest or highest quality but it felt like home to me and I don't regret my decision at all to attend.

5. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    College isn't for everyone. That being said, would it be possible for you to go to another school? Perhaps one with better teachers, a better community, some place that you actually feel good about going to? The university I went to wasn't the largest or highest quality but it felt like home to me and I don't regret my decision at all to attend.