1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civil liberty's for trans individuals

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by rowena14, May 5, 2015.

1. rowena14

Alright I'm in the biggest fight I have ever been in and I need help and advice on how to proceed. I have come out in a big way at my Episcopal church as a trans female. I use the lady facilities and have been TOLD that I can not use those facilities. I have been told to use a unisex facility in another room. That's all well and good until I needed to use it and there was a meeting going on in there and I could not use it. Brought this matter back to the Father and he shuffled me off to another room where I would be hidden out of sight. This is all well and good except for one thing I have a 4 year old daughter that is right now in the process of being potty trained. When she has got to go I can not go into the lady's room and help her if she needs it. I plan on taking this matter to our vestry and if need be to the bishop himself. If this fails I am willing to take it to the ACLU. I AM NOT doing this for attention or for myself. I am doing this for trans individuals who will come after me. This not about the facilities this about our civil liberties being trod upon by our governmental system.

2. DragKing692

When I was little, my mom would be out and it would be just me and my dad, he would take me into the men's room with him. It was okay, and even brave of him to do. This is just my experience, and I hope it helped. Also, I applaud you in your fight for the trans* community. I support you!
    Best wishes,
    Bernie

3. smurf

I'm sorry that you are having to go through all of this. Going to the bathroom shouldn't take this much thought.

While you go through this fight, please take care of yourself and get some support. Sadly, the ACLU doesn't take too many cases when it comes to churches or private spaces. If this were happening at a public space then you might have a better chance. Most of society is okay with religious institutions being bigots.

But yes, fight it. I would suggest trying to find other trans* person in the Episcopal church that somewhere in the country or talk to your local lgbt groups to see if you can get some support. Fights like these are very tough alone.

(*hug*)