1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel different... almost not myself.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by bluediamond, May 6, 2015.

1. bluediamond

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This whole experience of realizing my sexuality has been both very freeing and strange... Like I've been thrown into this huge world with so many possibilities I don't feel like I know who I am. I'm struggling to remember that I'm not just my orientation, I am a person with an education, a job, hobbies, likes and dislikes... I know nothing really changed about myself, I'm only better understanding myself... But at times its overwhelming and I'm so blinded by this one thing that's new that I can't see the rest of me. Has anyone else ever felt like this?

2. Lyana

If you discovered your orientation recently, it isn't surprising that it's taking up a lot of your thoughts! Don't worry about it, unless it's stopping you from functioning normally in life. The "obsession" will probably lessen in intensity with time. It sounds like your experience so far has been positive, so that's great. :slight_smile: And it is important to remember that you are not just your orientation, as you've said -- but it's also fair to acknowledge that your orientation is a part of you.

Me? I check EC almost every day. I follow LGBT news sites. I'm currently working on a project (for uni) that's directly related to LGBT topics. I'm contemplating volunteering for a sort of LGBT rights organization. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about my orientation, specifically, but LGBT stuff in general is important to me, and I think that's completely normal.

3. Erzulie

I have definitely felt like that a lot. I still feel overwhelmed by it sometimes, but not as much anymore. The fact that you acknowledge that you are more than just your orientation sounds like you're headed in the right direction.