1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Short sleeves in the summer with scars??

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by serenity5, May 7, 2015.

1. serenity5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So this is my first post on here, so hello everyone!

So it's starting to get hot out and I don't really know what to do about my clothes situation. I have self harm scars all over my arm and there's no way not to notice them, I don't know how to where clothes I feel comfortable in without feeling self conscious or have really bad anxiety about it. I've practically been wearing only long sleeves for the past 2 years so starting to wear short sleeves is a bit of a big deal for me. I just don't know how to do it.
    Especially at work, I work outside doing physical labor, it get's hot.. really hot, especially since I wear long sleeves. I don't think I can wear revealing clothes with all my scars in front of my co-workers, especially since 2 of my co-workers are friends with some of my family members.
    I just don't really know what to do, every time I try to wear short sleeves in public I put a sweater on after 5 minutes, I just get too freaked out, especially when people stare.
    Any advice?

2. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it possible to cover the scars with makeup? Note: I know nothing about makeup.
    You could try to find some long-sleeve shirts that are mesh and very lightweight.

3. Erzulie

If you wear white, loose, long sleeve shirts you can protect yourself from the sun as well as hiding the scars. That's what traditional clothes look like in India and the Middle East. Loose to keep the air flowing and white so it doesn't absorb the heat (unlike black which does, making you hotter and sometimes burning the skin underneath). If not that, waterproof makeup? I don't know much about makeup either, but I know they sell makeup that stays on even if you sweat. For long term, try aloe or petroleum jelly or a scar serum. I know people that have used those methods for surgery scars but it takes a couple months to start seeing a real change.

4. Dark Hearts

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe like a fishnet jacket or something? It'd still obscure your skin from people seeing, but still be more open for air flow. I've been thinking of doing that, myself.

5. Lazuri

I know there are oils meant to reduce scar tissue. One of them is called Bio-oil or something like that and while I don't know for sure, I've heard some good things about it. Might be good for you to check out.

6. BisexualQueen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    To add to the responses there is make up almost specifically used for scars. It very similar to foundation. While it doesn't cover everything completely, it does a good job of making the scars not noticeable unless you're really close to you're arm. Also have you thought of a very loose jean jacket? I have one I wear in the summer when I wear sleeveless dresses and it's not hot at all. Also people are less likely to think twice about it. If you are set on getting to be confident in wearing short sleeves then maybe try starting off with 3/4 sleeves or something of that sort and makeup on your arms.

7. DinelodiiGitli

You can try getting UV protection sleeves.
    They'll keep you covered but cool.

8. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd definitely recommend using makeup, just because it's probably your cheapest and easiest option. Almost any kind of foundation, even ones not specifically made for scars, will cover most of it up.

Just try and wear short sleeves slowly though. Try wearing them and showing your arms a little bit more each day. Give the scars time to heal as well. It'll get a little easier each time you do it.

9. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you have the finances and the will to go through the procedure(s) plastic surgery might be an option. However the results are highly dependent on the skills of the surgeon, the technique used and the original scars. It can also cost a lot of money. Another possibility is to talk to a dermatologist. I'm sure they know a lot more about covering scars than people on EC.

10. blackhatguy

Be careful you don't get sunburned. Scars burn easier than the rest of your skin, and if they burn, it takes longer for them to heal.

11. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in the process of covering up (with tattoos) my scars due to self harm. It is a very unpleasant/awkward feeling once someone notices your scars, because you start to automatically assume that they are judging you.

Which could be further from the truth; you never know what sort of demons someone else is facing.

If someone asks about them, you could be honest or you could lie, and that's entirely up to you.

Start using a bleaching cream and cocoa butter to minimize the scarring.

12. serenity5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you so much guys for all your advice, I really appreciate and I will try them all. I've tried makeup before but some of my scars are keloid scars with are the dark raised ones, but I will do my best to try to find the right kind. I'll look out for loose long sleeves shirts and jean jackets next time I'm at the store. Thanks so much guys.