1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hair Removal?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Dark Hearts, May 8, 2015.

1. Dark Hearts

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wasn't really sure where else to put this, so here goes.

I've never had much of a problem with having too much facial or body hair, but still seeing it on my body or feeling a little rough on my face (even if it isn't noticeable to the eye) makes me feel pretty dysphoric. I know shaving's a think, but that's only a really short term thing. I know laser/electrolysis is a thing, but I don't make much money and they're pretty cost prohibitive to get anywhere with it in the next decade for me. Is there anything I can do at home that, even if it isn't permanent removal, at least makes the body/facial hair go away for a good amount of time (like a week to a month-ish)? I can put aside ~$50ish a month at best towards, and facial hair is a higher priority since I can just wear long clothing, but with summer coming up I'd like to be able to wear shorter clothes.

Any help/advice would be awesome thanks in advance! :lol:

2. Lazuri

The face is tricky. For the rest of the body you can use various methods designed to pull out the hair by the roots, like waxing, but the skin on your face is too sensetive and the facial hair too coarse to do that.

3. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could buy an electric epilator for the hair on your legs. The good thing with it is that it's just as effective as waxing, and you only need to pay once. You could get one with $50 easily. The downside is that it pretty much feels like you're using some kind of medieval torture device on yourself. :lol: You only need to do it once a week or less, though. You can also sugar it which isn't as expensive (instructions in the link below), but it's much more messy.

Unfortunately the facial hair is more tricky, like Lazuri said. You could try to sugar your face, which causes less irritation than waxing. There are also lots of "home remedies" that may or may not work at all. You can find instructions on how to sugar on that page too. You could save up a lot of those $50's and get a home IPL hair removal system (they range from $200 to $1000), which seems to work for some but not for others. If your hair isn't dark it's much less likely to work, and electrolysis would be your best bet for permanent results.

#3 HappyGirlLucky, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
  4. Lazuri

Lots of good info in this post.

The electric epilators are great. I'd buy one, but I don't have the money for that, nor can I use it at the moment.

About the laser thing, I wouldn't even try if you're blonde or even blondish. If in doubt, maybe make an appointment somewhere to test, as I assume it will be cheaper than paying hundreds of dollars for something you don't know if it will work.

5. Dark Hearts

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Looked up some of those IPL things on Amazon, and they're in the hundreds of dollars. I've got darker hair, but thankfully I'm blessed and it doesn't grow really fast. If spending like $500+ gets rid of a good amount it would be worth it to me.

Out of epilating and waxing, so they're both just about as effective? If so, I might try waxing because I'm more lazy and rather not spend a lot of time epilating.

6. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have dark hair on light skin, the IPL will likely work, but there's no 100% guarantee. The good news is that if and when you start your hormone treatment and if the IPL device works for you, the removal may end up being permanent, or semi-permanent (lasting for several months at a time). Before hormone treatment the hair will likely grow back after a while, but less of it. I would do as Lazuri suggested and maybe go somewhere to test how well your hair responds to IPL treatment. In the meantime, while saving up the money for all this, you can just sugar your face.

Yes, both are equally effective, they both pull the hair out with the roots. :slight_smile: Waxing is definitely a lot more time efficient, and less painful too in my experience.

#6 HappyGirlLucky, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015