1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I do my speech on gay rights?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DreamerBoy17, May 11, 2015.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey all. At my school, we have to give a 4-6 minute speech about something that has changed over time and is important to us. I really want to do mine on the LGBT rights movement. I don't really care if people know I'm a lesbian after this. Do you think this is a bad idea for an 8th grader to be doing a topic on if my teacher even lets me? Advice appreciated :slight_smile:

2. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, that's awesome!!!!! Totally!!! I think you should go for it!
    I think it isn't a bad idea at all. It's definitely appropriate for school. (I'm in eighth grade as well) people can be so much more inappropriate at this age...increasing LGBT awareness is a good thing!~ I really think you should go for it.

3. HugasaurusRex

I think it is amazing. Go for it. No matter what country there needs to be more LGBT awareness, especially in schools. When I was in school there was never any mention of anything LGBT and I believe that should change. And what a better way to do it than students themselves standing up and being counted for! (*hug*)

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I say go for it.
    imo, just don't forget to mention the part that if the gov. doesn't give exactly equal rights for gay people tomorrow at the latest, taking to the streets is damn good idea
    ^^

Do it! It deserves more attention!

5. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think you should go for it also! I had written one myself(well, actually it was an essay) for a course a little while ago, and now it's just sitting on my computer...

---------- Post added 11th May 2015 at 06:11 PM ----------

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but if you need any info regard the Stonewall Riots, here's that essay I had mentioned:

To many, the events that kicked off the modern lgbt rights movement were the Stonewall Riots of June, 1969. At a time when homosexuality was still considered to be a mental illness by the American Psychological Association, and homosexual acts were illegal in all but one state, gay rights advocates had been struggling to reach a wider audience. However, given the media coverage of the exchange on June 28th, and the demonstrations the following six nights, many things began to fall into place. Soon to be formed advocacy groups, such as the Gay Liberation Front, and the Gay Activists Alliance, as well as pro gay newspapers, and the first pride parade, allowed the movement to quickly and steadily begin gaining ground, along with a permanent spot in the public consciousness.
    In the 1960s, New York City had the largest gay population in the United States, but due to the laws and social attitudes of the time, the scene itself was underground. The city had strict anti-sodomy laws, and the New York Police Department regularly carried out raids on gay bars, as well as sting operations to entrap gay men. Greenwich Village, a section of Manhattan, was not only the musical and artistic hub of New York, it was also the center of much of the gay scene. The Stonewall Inn, was a small, dingy gay bar located on Christopher Street in Greenwich. Described by all as a dive, it was owned by the mafia, and had no liquor license, or running water to wash glasses. Given the times, perhaps it was a fitting establishment, but it certainly wouldn’t have been expected to become one of the places of historical significance for the lgbt rights movement.
    A police raid on the Stonewall was carried out in the early morning hours of June 28, 1969. It began like many other police raids, when a few plainclothes officers entered the bar, arrested the employees for serving alcohol without a liquor license, and then began to kick out the patrons. As patrons were leaving one by one, a crowd outside cheering them on was growing larger. For whatever reasons, the charged atmosphere eventually turned violent, leading to the riots. The police were overpowered, and forced to seek refuge by locking themselves into the bar for their own protection. Police back up arrived in riot gear and the clash outside intensified, with members of the crowd allegedly hurling bottles and stones as weapons. Eventually, the rioting ceased and the crowd was dispersed. The following night, estimates of over one thousand people showed up to demonstrate, and more rioting ensued. The initial turmoil, and the demonstrations which followed for six nights, gained widespread media attention, putting the issue of gay rights prominently on display to a wider public audience, as well as sparking many advocacy efforts, both in New York City, and across the country.
    Within months of the riots, advocacy groups such as the Gay Liberation Front, and the Gay Activists Alliance sprang up. The GLF was founded in New York, and had a radical and counter-cultural political agenda, urging gay people to fully embrace their queerness. The GAA was a more middle of the road organization, which splintered from the GLF, and was started by dissenting members, both groups made important contributions towards gay rights. Pro gay newspapers, such as Gaywhich was a city-wide publication in New York City, were founded. And on the one year anniversary of the start of the riots, the first ever gay pride parade in the United States, was held in New York City. Organized by Brenda Howard and others, they encouraged groups in other cities, such as Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco to do the same, pride parades would become annual events. With all of the advocacy generated, a slew of political and social victories were in store during the 1970s and onward.
    The Stonewall Riots were really the figurative “shot heard round the world” for the lgbt movement. The momentum it provided spawned parades, advocacy groups, and publications, as well as the necessary attention to put the movement on better footing. In light of all these things, many advances have been made, from Wisconsin being the first state to outlaw discrimination based on sexual orientation in 1982, to a million person march on Washington, DC in 1987. In the year 2000, Vermont became the first state to allow civil unions for gay and lesbian couples, and Massachusetts, in 2004 became the first to make same-sex marriage legal, continuing on to the present day, in which more than half of all states have made same-sex marriage legal. Stonewall, which was made a national historic landmark in 2000, served as the spark for it all, a historic event when people stood up to oppression, regardless of the cost.

6. blossoms

blossoms Guest

I think it's a great idea! In my school, there was never talk of the LGBT community, which left me (and I'm sure other kids) feeling kinda alone. The more talk of LGBT topics and awareness, the better! :slight_smile:

7. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, yesterday we had to submit our top three choices for topics for our teacher to approve. I got my sheet back today and my teacher had circled one of my other options. So I gathered all my courage and went up and asked her about it. She told me if I wanted to do gay rights and if I stuck to facts and not opinions I could do it. I was glad she was supportive- she just told me she wanted to spare me from "awkward" questions. I've been working on personally staying true to myself and not caring about other peoples' opinions even if it is hard sometimes.
    Now I just have to gather the courage to go up in front of class and talk about this. :confused:
    But I figure if it helps being awareness to kids in my school about LGBT rights and makes some people feel less alone, a little anxiety is worth it. :icon_wink

9. kcdeclassified

Out Status:
    A few people
    Definitely do it!!! I gave a speech on why gay marriage should be legal before I even began to question my sexuality. I don't think anyone even thought I was lesbian because I gave this speech! Awareness, especially at that younger age, is important!

10. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great :slight_smile: