1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Najlen, May 11, 2015.

1. Najlen

Last summer, some of my friends introduced me to a guy who is similar to me in a lot of ways. We even look alike. I had hoped that we would end up being friends, because I think we get each other better than a lot of other people do, and he's a great person who I admire and would like to get to know. It took me a while to start talking to him regularly, but in the past couple of months we have been talking at least a little bit every day at school. We were both in the school's spring productions, and as I was leaving the cast party, I went over to say goodbye to my friends at the other table and he got up and hugged me. I was not expecting that, because I hadn't thought we were that close. I felt like maybe I was finally getting somewhere, and the next week we barely spoke. That was last week, and today we didn't talk at all except for me asking him a question about the class. I want to talk to him, but I am really bad at starting conversations and I'm too scared in case he doesn't want to talk to me. I'm afraid I messed it up by not making more of an effort, but then what if he was just being nice and didn't want to talk to me in the first place? School is almost over, and I want to keep in touch over the summer, but I don't know how that's going to work if we aren't talking to each other. Also, he has been looking kind of sad lately and I want to ask if he's ok, but I'm not sure if that would be overstepping something. What do you think is going on? I don't know what to do.

2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should perhaps ask him how he is feeling. If you think he has been looking sad, just mention it and let him know that you are there to talk to.. if he would like to. It sounds like you are over analysing everything and it's stifling your natural wish to get to know him better. If you've been getting on well, keep up the momentum, and remember it takes two people to make a friendship work. Don't let him think that he is the one making all of the effort.

Good luck. :slight_smile:

3. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Good advice Patrick, I'd also suggest trading phone numbers, email, and other social contacts. I know I've always had issues with talking to people in person, but can text away all day and night with someone.

He also may not like talking about deep things in public. Just keep that mind, and if he's sad, just ask him.