1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dateing someone with depression

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by poppy, May 12, 2015.

1. poppy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you where on a first date or just looking at someones dateing profile would it be a turn off if you found out that they had
    severe depression?

2. sappho06

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Personnally, I would not date a person with depression. I'd hate to have someone depend on me. And someone who's suicidal or has already attempted suicide, that makes me really uncomfortable, even just as a friend. But that's just me. So in my opinion, yes, it would be a huge turn off.

3. HelloSweetie

Not a turn off for me, but then again, I do have chronic depression, so I guess I'm a little biased!!

4. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

Re: dating someone with depression

Yes, it would be a turn-off. Depression would be in that person's way of functioning properly in a relationship, and it would create more and more problems constantly. And I'm sure that a depressed person would (unintentionally) use the other one as an emotional crutch, and there is a limit to that on the part of the other person. And separation would chase the depressed on into a more severe depression, so...

I hope you get the point.

5. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it depends on the situation. i have out of respect for my own safety on a online dating site there was guy across the country who the first thing he mentions is that he suffers from depressions and quickly gets all excited and clingy and puts words out of my mouth. So despite the feeling that he could hurt himself if i blocked him i did cause i knew that kind of quick attachment was unhealthy and what he does about it is not my fault they are issues of his own. So if someone had depression and they are now in a stable and happy place I would date them in a heartbeat having been there myself. We cannot control sometimes the horrible circumstances we are in whether going to a anti gay school or living a in anti gay community. Situations of no fault of our own can cause depression so I personally think rejecting someone who dealt with depression is in a way blaming them for that situation they were dealt with. But as far as dating someone who is currently suffering from depression that is a a hard one. I am a nice guy and I hate to be on the jerk end of things but I think everyone deserves a chance and I probably would take that chance and find out how it would work out. Sometimes as long as the situation remains healthy and there is no prolong unhealthy attachment some people with depression have I would date them sometimes a person suffering from depression has never experienced love or the feeling that somebody cares or understands and actually a relationship could actually change them for the better and save their lives. So with the belief that relationships can bring out the best of people I would that chance while taking some caution and see how it goes.

#5 dano218, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
  6. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If they're telling you they're depressed - it shows some openness and honesty which is a quality

some depressed people can function as well as anyone else, it is just a struggle for them

without being on point of suicide or other unhealthy behaviour

7. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I might be confused as to why someone would post something like that on their online profile but going specifically on that...

No. I have chronic depression. It doesn't mean I use my girlfriend as a crutch. It doesn't mean I depend on her emotionally or psychologically. My girlfriend has also been depressed in the past, to the point of being suicidal before we started dating. It might cause problems but then so do a lot of things in relationships. It's not an automatic deal-breaker.

8. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No he end me a message and the first thing they said was I suffer from depression and I am lonely and need to talk to someone and so on. I just had a really bad vibe about it and blocked him.

The reality within the lgbt community there is I think i significant amount of people who mint suffer or have suffered depression and so I think chances of finding someone who has never been depressed or is not depressed at times is slim. Of course there are lgbt people who have never suffered from depression or have it but what I am saying to those who would regret someone based on that the reality is it very common in our community so I would not so put off by it and just brush off someone because of it. Like I said before some people have become depressed because of uncontrollable circumstances and in a way that is like blaming them for their circumstances they did not choose. I know that sounds harsh but if look at from that angle it does sound kind of selfish in my opinion.

9. Lazuri

No. I'm going through severe depression myself so it wouldn't be fair. Besides, you can lean on each other rather than one using the other one as a crutch.

10. HugasaurusRex

Whether he was or was not depressed would have no say in my choice. Just because some one is depressed does not mean that they are incapable of "normal" thought. I myself suffer from it, but it does not stop me from being able to function like a "normal" person. I myself have learnt to deal with my depression. Though I would say I am on the way to "curing" my depression. And for some people who suffer from depression, the relationship may be what pulls them out and back to themselves.

11. banana1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I suffered from depression until a year ago....
    Yes I would date someone with depression, why not?

12. atoadaso

atoadaso Guest

I have depression, & I have already dated someone else with it. I understand why people would be hesitant to "take on" someone with depression, but everyone's experience with it is different. Someone's mental health shouldn't affect your decision to date them, in my opinion. I wouldn't want someone turning me down simply because of what they think they know about me.

13. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm bipolar, and have dated a guy who is also bipolar. That was before I was diagnosed. Whenever he had a bad day, I'd start feeling bad too, which wasn't a very healthy situation for me to be in. I broke up with him. That wasn't the main reason for the break-up but it certainly played a part.

Sometimes it might be beneficial to have a fellow depression sufferer as a partner, or even just a friend, because he/she will better understand when you're having a bad day. I have a bipolar friend, we've been friends for about 8 or 9 years now, and he was only recently diagnosed. It's nice to be able to talk to someone other than a psychiatrist about feelings, moods and other everyday struggles. We don't talk very often but we're there for each other when either of us are having a bad day.

14. Incognito10

I think it would be good to see someone share a vulnerability in an open and honest way, oppose to some of the other bios I've seen.

15. TheStormInside

It wouldn't be a turn off, but I would be cautious. I have depression and anxiety myself and in my last relationship my bf also had severe depression that affected me very badly. In the end, it's why I had to break up with him. His problems fed into mine. But, I'd still give someone a chance. If my bf had stayed in therapy, taken his meds, and not been so dependent on me things may have been different. So, I suppose if I were to date someone with depression I'd have to see that they were at least trying to help themselves and manage their illness.

16. Gandee

Gandee Guest

No, I wouldn't. I had depression myself and I wouldn't trust myself in a relationship then. The best I could do is offer a hand of friendship, and I'm not going to lie, it would be really hard. Because depression is emotionally draining to both sides.

17. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would date a person with depression, and help them get through it, as long as they weren't making me depressed for it. I'd be there, let them talk it out, and make sure they know I do care. But I they got to a point where they would hurt themselves if I didn't do anything, or blame me for things, I'd leave them.
    A depressed person needs someone to lean on, but if it becomes really bad, then leave...
    Yes, I'm among the youngest in this community, but I have experience with this....
    I've been depressed, almost suicidal a few times. And pretty dependent on her, but also letting her lean on me, and I wasn't always depressed. I've been downright selfish to her, by threatening to cut if she would "leave me like this"....
    ....it was the worst decision I ever made, because I did end up cutting, and she told me he was here for me, but not to the point where I'd hurt her.
    She left then, saying she did love me, but I shouldn't hurt myself if she wasn't meeting my needs. If she didn't meet my needs, she would leave me alone. That's what she said to me...
    Then were the two worst days, I almost tried to kill myself once...
    I know it's terrible an stupid.
    I realized I've been making a mistake and called her back...
    She said yes, I was still depressed and have still been mean to her at points, but I've improved greatly, and she tells me I have...
    Now it's a healthy, happy relationship. We both have problems, and always talk it out/comfort each other, and we're able to stay happy overall. Less fighting, off of self harm for almost two months and never gonna go back to it.
    My experience has been great...and so has she.
    If I end up leaving her, I hope it'll never happen....
    But I'd definetely date someone with depression and let them know they're loved, as long as they're the type of people I like. Unless a relationship was getting hurtful, or mentally abusive, or not improving...i would be there for them.

18. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    no i tried it fails and the person is just so out of control not safe and stable and not acting like a normal person
    as others have said they are going with problems but are able to be stable and act normal and their life dont stop on every single problem like i didnt talk to him omg he is sad he cut himself because i didnt talk what the hell i mean i was busy i was living my life
    do i have to feel bad for studying or being busy because that person has nothing to do in life other than waiting for something to make him feel bad about himself ! please give me a break
    and no offence please guys dont take it personal im just talking about my ex who happens to be a lost person
    even when i was depressed and not so stable and comfortable with myself i got away from dating it just makes everything worst it makes me blind and ruins my relationship with that person forever as i didnt love myself that much back then

before you say why people hate me and no one love me start loving yourself first others will follow

19. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

For me It's a turn-off. I find that people with depression most of the time aren't really ready for a relationship anyway; you have to learn to survive on your own two feet before you let someone else in.

20. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have had depression myself, so I feel hypocritical saying no, but I have to look out for my own mental health. Being in a relationship with someone with severe depression may be too much for me, considering how prone I am to depression myself. It might depend on a few things, I guess.