1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guatemala

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Ashleigh16, May 12, 2015.

1. Ashleigh16

Are their super strict regulations on gay rights in Guatemala? Do I need to leave my rainbow stuff at home when I go this summer and move the stuff on my phone to my computer? Any advice please? I'm going there on a missions trip with my church in July.

2. ouji

ouji Guest

Oh, how cool! I was planning on going to Guatemala on my church's mission trip last year, but sadly ended up backing out due to scheduling conflicts. I got the below paragraph from a website.
    Guatemala is a largely Catholic, socially conservative Central American nation, and in general terms the nation is considerably homophobic. Public displays of same-sex affection are rare, and violence against prominent gay and lesbian activists is not unheard of. For these reasons, the local gay and lesbian communities are pretty discreet.
    While Guatemala City has something of a gay and lesbian scene, and several bars and clubs cater to this clientele, the situation gets radically worse outside of the capital. The more touristy and cosmopolitan destinations of Antigua, Panajachel, and Quetzaltenango can be considered somewhat gay and lesbian friendly; however, the overall reality is rather challenging for gays and lesbians in Guatemala.
    In my opinion, it would probably be best to keep the rainbow stuff at home just to be on the safe side. Hopefully someone who lives there or who has visited there can chime in and give some more advice.

3. Ashleigh16

Code:

Do you think I need to go as far as getting anything off of my phone? I can't really ask anyone because I'm pretty much completely in the closet. So not going to be doing anything just maybe having the bracelets which I won't do. I mean someone would have to go into my phone to find anything unless they saw like news alerts or something. Like my screensaver isn't anything

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My partner is from Nicaragua. He travels to Guatemala frequently for work. He does not see much to be concerned about so long as your prudent in any similar fashion that you would be prudent in the US. If you do not look for trouble, it will not find you.