1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my college admission might get taken back!!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ilovesg, May 12, 2015.

1. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So to keep my admission I have to have at least a C in all of my classes. I have an F in math and I emailed my teacher about what I could do and she basically said there's no way I'll get a C before school ends and she doesn't give extra credit. So I emailed my college and asked if there is anything I could do and they said "it is based solely off the math you are taking this year" I don't even know what that is supposed to mean! Is that a yes or no? I replied and told them that I'm taking precalculus right now. I don't know what to do because if I can't go to college I will be so disappointed with myself and so will my family. I'm planning on talking to my counselor tomorrow but I don't know if she can do anything. What do I do!! I'm panicking.

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Talk to an advisor both at your high school, and in your university's admissions department. That's the best way to start.

3. MirandaJK

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I wasn't aware that they could take your admission back? Especially with the fact that they usually look at your GPA as a whole. I'd definitely wait until you talk to your advisor before panicking. Usually they're good at working around things. Good luck!

4. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm going to talk to my counselor tomorrow but the admissions department hasn't replied yet : /

---------- Post added 12th May 2015 at 06:27 PM ----------

they can! it's ridiculous lol I'm talking to my counselor tommorow so hopefully she can help. I'm trying not to panic but you know, anxiety and all that.

5. MirandaJK

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Oh gosh yeah I understand. I've been in situations where I was on academic probation in college. I've just also learned that way that there is ALMOST always something that someone can do. If you talked to the admission counseler at the college and they couldn't do anything, try writing a formal letter to the dean or the president about it. Explain your situation and sometimes they'll even help you out.

6. Gen

Gen

Unfortunately, academic probation is a very different situation than this. California universities are extremely competitive these days. I am not aware of which tier the university your are hoping to attend falls under (as they tend to be more ruthless the higher up they are), but admission requirements are extremely strict. For every student accepted, there are multiple others sitting on waiting lists.

I am not saying this to be the Debby Downer of this thread. I am saying this so you can start preparing yourself for the possibility of things not turning out if your favor. The fortunate side of this is that general education can be done anywhere. You can head to community college for the first two years and transfer to whatever four year you wish afterwards. It is very common and often much cheaper.

Definitely speak with the admission officers and your counselor. Just take this as a learning experience; especially if you do end up going the transfer route because when they say "you need 60 units to transfer" you cannot have 57, 58, 59, etc. You cannot even allow for the opportunity of not meeting admissions requirements because these things are too competitive this day in age. When you attend a university, there will be safety nets, probation, grade forgiveness, etc, to give students a break. However, admission is all about weeding people out and they can be merciless at times.

7. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    the thing is that I am going to get free tuition because my dad is a disabled veteran. I'm going to feel so bad if I get all this money to go to school and then I fuck it up by getting my admission taken away. I feel horrible.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're talking about the typical admissions letter that says "We've admitted you to the incoming class of 20__" which also says "Your admission is contingent upon your maintaining a GPA of at least 2.0" or whatever... usually they are pretty reasonable.

The main intent of that condition is that the straight-A student who gets into school doesn't suddenly lose all interest and fail all of his classes the last semester of senior year. At least from my knowledge, it is pretty rare for a school to rescind an offer o admission solely because of one low grade.

I would suggest calling the admissions department rather than emailing, but most likely it isn't going to be a problem.

9. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another thing to keep in mind is that you are young. You have your whole life ahead of you. Worst case scenario you would wait a semester, take a math class at a community college and apply again. Or apply to other places. Sometimes things don't go exactly as planned. That's perfectly okay. I dropped out of school in middle school and went back as an adult. Eventually I went to college. I see no reason why you can't get in eventually if that is what you want.

10. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I really hope you're right I can't stop worrying about this. I'll see what my counselor says tommorow thanks :slight_smile:

11. Gen

Gen

I received the same tuition benefits. It would definitely be disappointing to receive an acceptance offer and have it taken away because of this. My point is that this isn't the end if that is the case. Too many students take initially rejection as the sole opportunity, but transferring into universities as Juniors is actually easier to than receiving acceptance as Freshman. Doing well at a community college and following the proper procedures can get you essentially guaranteed acceptance to any public university in California.

It is perfectly understandable to be upset, but don't feel defeated. Even if they do rescind this offer, know that this only means that you have to take a detour to get there or anywhere else you might want to go, but this is certainly not your only chance.
    It didn't used to be common and it rightfully shouldn't, but it is insanely common these days. Just a couple weeks ago, I spoke with a 4.0 student who had his offer rescinded because he ended up taking one less class during the last semester as he claimed he would on his application. Statistics for this admissions seasons likely haven't been released yet, but last year was the most competitive admissions season we have ever experienced. Students who receive acceptance are only guaranteed a spot until they report their final grades. The waiting list for this admission season is still alive and well. It is a shame and it is absolutely part of the reason why students of this generation are reporting extremely unhealthy levels of stress, but it is a sad reality.

But still call them. Just know that if things do not work out this admission season, then you will have future opportunities.

12. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm trying to remind myself of that but I can't help but feel my whole life is depending on this one thing like if I don't go to this college my life will be ruined forever. I'm trying to work on my anxiety but it's getting the best of me right now : / that's amazing that you went back to school! that's teally great

---------- Post added 12th May 2015 at 09:50 PM ----------

Is it only very common at really selective schools though? My sister went to the same college that I got accepted to and she didn't have the best grades. It's a public college and is pretty easy to get into. Would they still be that strict? I heard if you have one bad grade it's possible they'll let it slide. I'm really worried

---------- Post added 12th May 2015 at 10:13 PM ----------

I can't sleep because of this

---------- Post added 12th May 2015 at 10:13 PM ----------

:frowning2:

13. Gen

Gen

If it isn't that selective, then the admissions officers could possibly have more room to be forgiving. See if you can get the grade up to at least a D. At least, that would not be technically be failing. Speak with your counselor as soon as possible to see whether there is anyway to drop the class this late or something. Then we are probably looking at a much better chance.

14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A school that isn't super selective doesn't have hundreds of people clamoring at the door to get in. So they are way more likely to be lenient. That was the basis of my original answer; if the school was concerned about your maintaining at least a C (2.0) GPA, then it clearly isn't a super competitive school as, realistically, a super competitive school would probably never admit someone who had a C on their transcript at all.

I stand by my original comments. I think Gen's comments relate to highly selective schools -- which have really become an entirely different universe from the normal college admissions process -- and aren't, as far as I know, really applicable to the current conversation, nor are they helpful to your current mindstate.

15. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    ok so I talked to my counselor today and she said since I have 5 years of math and I have all my required classes they shouldn't take back my admission. But since I'm failing math, I have to take the ELM test to be placed in a math class for next year. The thing is the deadline for that was May 2. There is one more test date that I could take it but it's an hour away. And since they are going to get my scores late, I won't be able to get into the summer math class until they get my score and it might be full by then. I have to take the class over the summer if I don't do well on the ELM or they will take away my admission. I feel like it's one thing after the other I was feeling better today and now this. Am I just not meant to go to college or something I don't know what to do and I I don't want to tell my parents because they will be mad. I feel like such a failure im so mad at myself.

16. PalestrinaMX

You're not a failure. You have some obstacles to overcome, but you can do it. It may seems like a lot of going around in circles, but it will be worth it. It is better than the alternative, which would be not going to college. Good luck.

17. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you actually called the admissions department at the school? Or are you talking to your high school guidance counselor? You really need to get the information straight from the college, in writing. You may not even need to take the additional class over the summer (depending on your major, their entrance requirements, and the like.) Every college offers lower level math classes for people who aren't ready for calculus or other college level math, so most likely, this should not be an issue.

18. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have been emailing the admissions office back and forth all day. The summer class is required if you don't pass the ELM. But since I'm taking it so late there aren't a lot of spots in that class so I can't risk failing the test because I might not be able to take the class and then my acceptance would definitely be taken away. Basically I have to pass the test.