1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need some help

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by norcal, May 14, 2015.

1. norcal

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey EC people**

Well, first some background on me. I have been on and off this site many times, not really for any specific reasons. I came out when I was 15, and currently am finishing up my senior year of high school. Thank god for the end haha. Anywho, I'm joining the Air Force after I graduate, I leave for boot camp on August 11. I'm wondering if anyone has any information on gays in the military and how they are dealt with.

I personally don't believe I come off as "gay" as some people would ay, but I would say I'm pretty masculine. So, that being saod, there's not a lot of evidence from the outside that someone in boot camp would expect it. The only reason I'm worried is that I'll be with these other guys from all over the country for 8.5 weeks. I live about 30 minutes north of San Francisco, which I believe we all know has a HUGE gay community. Soi its very accepted here, but u know that people from the south are generally less accepting, especially ones who would join the military. Do you think I should just keep quiet? I'm not gonna tell everyone on day 1 of course haha, but should I just be straight for boot camp? What are your thoughts or suggestions???

Also, on a different topic.*
    I have been with my boyfriend for almost 2 months now, and I could see our relationship continuing. He wants it to end when I leave, which I can see because I'll be gone for four years minimum, and that's a long time to be away from a loved one. Do you think I should discuss just taking a break? Or just end it completely and maybe meet up later on in life?*

Thanks for all of your responses!!!:confused:

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not having been in the military, but certainly having previously been faced with similar choices about coming out, I would suggest to just take it easy and adjust to your new life in the military in the first instance. That is going to be an adjustment all in itself.

The military is ok with gays, so no need to worry from a legal standpoint. Get through your program, meet people, and see how comfortable you are.

As far as you boyfriend is concerned, given the relationship has only been going on for two months, and you know you will be away for four years, it would not be unreasonable to simply end the relationship when you leave, make no long term commitments, and when your out, see where both he and yourself are with each of your respective lives. A lot can happen in four years.

3. norcal

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alright, thanks for the advice. Would it be like ok to get back in the relationship after I get out, assuming either of us aren't in a relationship at that time?