1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My brother is gay.. and so am I?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by kcdeclassified, May 14, 2015.

1. kcdeclassified

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi all, I am just wondering if any of you are gay, and have a sibling that is gay as well.

My brother is out to my mom (He actually doesn't know I know, but my mom told me that he told her), and that's all I know of at least for him. Me, I am out to my two closest friends and that's it.

Benefits of having a gay sibling:
    -I already know my mother is cool with gay people. Go mom!!!:eusa_clap
    -My brother will be the perfect person for me to come out to. He is my best friend and he can't judge me too much, right?
    -We can talk about the struggles of being gay together. Yayyyyyyyy!

Disadvantages of having a gay sibling:
    -My only other sibling is also gay.
    What does this mean? My mother doesn't get the perfect child-in-law, grandchildren, white picket fence that she has envisioned for us since she had my brother and I. Accepting one child as gay, that isn't as bad. She has her daughter to still have the normal life. Accepting the second child, and her last available child to live a normal life? Nearly impossible..
    I just feel that my mother is going to be super disappointed when she doesn't have legit grandchildren. I know that me and my brother can still adopt, or maybe I can use a sperm donor, but I know it won't be the same to her. I will just feel like a major let down when i come out to my mom. Especially since she has known my brother was gay since he was a child, and she thinks I'm as straight as an arrow. Also, our dad, wasn't too accepting of my brother. My dad is praying it's just a phase. No, dad, your little boy is gay. And so is daddy's little girl...

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've heard of this before. I remember once reading one post this one girl she was gay her sister and brother were also gay and then her brother was straight as far as she knew. I've also heard of youtubers like Mathew lush and nick laws's friend she has a gay brother. Roseanne Barr has a gay brother and a gay sister. I also remember on yahoo someone said they knew someone who had 6 other brothers and all 7 kids were gay. Yep it happens.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I recently dated someone with two male siblings and both were gay as well. Their mother has been incredibly supportive, including appearing on a TV talk show and attending Pride parades.

The issue of children will definitely come up, but with all the options available nowadays, it is pretty darned close to "the real thing".

You need to live your own life and your own truth. It is terrific that you can count on at least some family support, and I expect your dad will come around too, eventually. But even if he doesn't, remember that you are not his property, you are an individual with autonomy, you need to assert that as much as possible.

4. kcdeclassified

Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, wow!!! Yes, my one friend said she knew a family that had multiple gay siblings, but I wasn't aware of how common that may actually be. Wow, all 7 siblings being gay. That is insane! Makes me feel better about myself :icon_bigg

Thank you!

---------- Post added 14th May 2015 at 11:35 AM ----------

Thank you sooo much!! Greatly appreciated!!!
    Ha ha, maybe if I get my brother and mother on board, maybe we could go to the local newstation and get ourself famous! :grin:(!)(!:thumbsup:

5. Im Hazel

I am mostly straight and transfemale. My sister is a lesbian. Stuff like this is not unheard of.

6. bluehorizon

I have a brother who is also gay. We live completely separate lives, but we visit each other from time to time and stay at each others places, and we go on road trips every year or so and have a blast.

Good luck and best wishes!