1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to spend the weekend at my boyfriend's for a week, but a few speed bumps.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RemakeJake, May 16, 2015.

1. RemakeJake

My boyfriend and I have been together for over six weeks now and it's been great! :slight_smile: But, two weeks ago, he moved to Las Vegas...(boooooooo). I miss him insurmountably and I'm looking into shuttle options from LA to see him (I'm a college student, no big plane tickets for me). The thing is, my parents have never met him. They probably don't know that I even have a boyfriend; although they're very accepting people, I've never felt confident enough to talk to them about this stuff. I've always proven myself to be a trustworthy and responsible person (I flew from LA to Sweden by myself to see relatives. That takes at least a little responsibility).

The big kicker that they might not like? He's 27. It's not super super serious between us and we're not doing anything fishy. His female best friend is his roommate so we won't even be alone.

I have the money and the possible plan all down, but how do I go about doing this? Thank you!

2. Psaurus918

I'm probably the wrong person to give advice here, but I say go for it. I took my first road trip from NY to TX when I was 19 and it was awesome and I wouldn't change a thing. Do as much as you can while you're young!

As for the age difference, if he makes you happy that's all that counts

3. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    Two ways to look at it.
    you are 19 and an adult, do as you wish, legally you dont need your parents permission.

You are 19 and basically still need your parents for various reasons, this is not the time to piss them off, talk to them, tell them whats up, explain it to them like you did right here to the group, dont ask them, respectfully tell them, maybe tell them about it in an excited tone as if you just assume its going to be cool with them.
    One weekend with a maybe is not worth putting a wedge between you and your parents.
    just my thoughts, as always, I could be wrong.

4. RemakeJake

Thanks to both of you. (&&&)

5. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep in mind he has literally moved on so there might be some surprises for you when you get there. I'm not saying you should be suspicious just don't necessarily expect things to be exactly the same as before. The age difference is okay but it's big enough to add to a drift in your relationship as well. Be careful.

6. RemakeJake

:slight_smile:

7. RemakeJake

No offense but none of what you said in the first two sentences applies.

8. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know if I can really help here, but I think you mean well and I think if what you say is true that your parents are very understanding. Then I would give it a try. You will be surprise sometimes with how well parents react to our decisions in life, (in a good way).
    You never know unless you do it, easier said then done I know.:icon_bigg
    And the age thing sounds fine to me, I have some friends way older than me that I relate to better with then some friends my own age. Some of them act even younger then me.:grin:

Just check in with your parents from time to time if you go, that was my parents biggest pet peeve.

9. RemakeJake

Thank you (*hug*)

10. RemakeJake

Thanks!

11. Billy the kid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell your parents that you have a friend in Vegas that has invited you down there to see and you have made plans to go see him. You will be staying at his apartment and you are really looking forward to the visit. You have made all the plans and will call them every so often to let them know how you are doing. If they question that, you can reassure them that you are a responsible person and you have traveled before and that it was a great experience. As far as the age difference goes, eight years isn't that bad, love knows no age anyway. Have fun dude!

12. kaotyc

You're 19. You're an adult so therefore it is legal and shouldn't be a problem.