1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When will this isolation end?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by thesecretcat, May 17, 2015.

1. thesecretcat

Right now, I don't think I can bare this much longer. I came out to most people (including my family) about a year ago and many people have been fine with it, it is just that I feel extremely isolated. I don't know any other LGBT people and there are no youth groups or anything in my area. I feel as if I will NEVER meet anyone and that I will be forever alone, I'm starting to feel really fed up, no one in my friendship group gets how I'm feeling, they take it for granted that it is extremely easy for them to be surrounded by people of like mind, a lot them just say 'come out to everyone' or 'just find a girl it's not hard' but the thing is I don't know any other people who have come out and I do not want to come out to the world.
    I have never felt so isolated in my life... Thanks for reading :kiss:

2. June Cleaver

Time still goes by slowly at your age, but it will happen. Don't look for it and just be yourself around others and in no time some fine woman will want to climb aboard your ship of life. Worrying or "looking" will only make you appear too needy which is a real turn off to a grounded person. Friends first is always a good policy to practice. After all before a big purchase like a house or a car don't you research first to be sure you don't buy the wrong one? Think of a mate somewhat in that manner by being friends. Now you can't find her? Stop looking and be yourself and she will find you! Good luck! June

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you currently working or studying? If you are studying do you have any plans to continue education - maybe go on to university? If this is a future plan, you may find many more opportunities open up to you in the next few years. Even if studying isn't part of your plans, you have plenty of time to consider your future and make a difference.

Don't be too disheartened now. I know it can seem incredibly isolating if there is no visible LGBT community nearby, but you have already made good progress in coming out to people at quite a young age.

Give yourself time to think about the sort of person you want to spend time with, the sort of person you would like to meet and date. Think about it carefully so you don't rush into a relationship with the wrong person. It's far better to be patient and meet someone compatible.

4. thesecretcat

Thank you for replying :slight_smile: I am currently studying at the moment and I'm hoping to go to uni next year so hopefully there will be more opportunity to meet others, but that still feels far away and I just need to talk to someone, not necessarily start a relationship (which would be a bonus if it did happen) , just to normalise it I guess. I am very grateful to live in an area where being gay isn't a big deal, its just very lonely sometimes. I cannot imagine myself any time soon meeting anyone and that thought can make me feel very isolated :frowning2: .
    Thanks again for responding, it helps a lot :slight_smile:

5. still ill

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Online is a great place to meet lesbian women (TUMBLR) and other dating websites of course. I would say even if you can't find a girl to be with try joining more LGBTQ+ youth programs (if there are any in your area). Just keep busy but do something that actually makes you happy. I remember at 15 not wanting to hang out with my friends because they didn't understand me but time will pass and you will find solace. Remember being alone does not have to be a lonely experience, use the time to reflect on yourself to personally grow.

6. HugasaurusRex

Well, you are only 17, I know it gets said waaay too often, but you have a lot more time to meet many people. And there are people out there. The way I see it is: the easy ones to find are not worth knowing, whereas a true friend takes a lot longer to find and when you do they will be there for you no matter what/who you are.

And as you said you are going or at least hoping to go to uni, once there you will meet hundreds of people. I went to uni and met so many people I felt swamped, and most of them I got on really well with. And at the uni I went to there were always different groups you could join, and if there was not one already you could make one yourself. And then we could book rooms and do almost what ever we wanted. Where it was a book club, study club or just a friends club to meet new people. We even had an LGBT group where like-minded people could get together and be comfy knowing they were all there for the same reason. Though I did not attend that one as sadly at that time I was still ironing my suit in the closet.