1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conversation Starters

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by IG88, May 18, 2015.

1. IG88

Have you ever been at the gym or café, and there is a cute stranger that keeps looking your way (presumably because you are attractive :wink: )? This happened to me the other day at the gym. There was this incredibly hot guy who would look at me while I was working out. It wasn't all of the time, and idk for sure if he was checking me out, or maybe looking at my shirt, hair, etc., but I sure liked it lol.

My question is, how do you start a conversation with a complete stranger? I'm not very good at keeping convos going, let alone starting them. Does anyone have any advice on what I could talk about, how to approach the other person, or if you have any stories of you doing this successfully?

2. robclem21

The gym is a much easier place to meet someone than a cafe because there is a common activity going on. I've had similar experiences before and I've gone over to someone and asked if I could work in a set with them, if they could spot me, etc. There are lots of ways to ask for help at the gym so I find that relatively easy. Then you just introduce yourself and ask maybe where they are from, what they do, if they are at the gym often, etc... Pick anywhere to start really and then just see where the conversation goes. If they are into you then they will usually be willing to keep up a conversation for a bit.

Other places are much harder. Coffee shops you could ask what someone is drinking because it smells good or find some other common ground to talk about if they are reading a book or something. I've also been blunt and just said do you mind if I sit with you, or I noticed you were staring at me, etc. Both have kind of worked before. It really depends on your confidence and also the personality of the person you approach. I've been turned down a lot of times too and you can't really take it personally. Haha.

3. IG88

Thanks robclem! Yeah, that's a good point that the gym is a better convo starter then a café (unless they're in the zone lol). Cool, I'll have to think about these.

4. HugasaurusRex

I am not an overly social person but nature, but if I am interested in something about someone I will use it to start a conversation. It can range from something they are doing at the time to something they are wearing. For example a friend I made most recently I got to know due to her being part of an alternative sub-culture, I just asked her about it and it went form there. It also helped that we are both geeks. If you really like someone or how they look, or you see them eyeing you up, there is always something to start a conversation with, just look at what they are doing, wearing or where they are.

5. IG88

Cool thanks hugasaurusrex. Any other ideas?

6. HugasaurusRex

I wouldn't say this is a way I am yet to have started a conversation with someone (yet). But I paint my nails, I won't leave the house without them, and more often than not people will just come to me and ask me about them. Obviously I get the odd crappy remark, but I care little for that, not to mention they soon go running away when the diva comes out. But in most cases people just ask me where I get the done, (No where, I do them myself). So there is a vast amount of ways to start talking to someone. What is the worse that can happen? :grin:

7. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Arfff

I agree with rob, Gym is way better than cafe's. Because we are actually doing something while cafe was basically doing nothing. We also have an escape card if things went south or totally awkward.

I usually start of by friendly greet (obviously), complimenting something, asking how long have they working out, weight used and routines, etc. While also observing some facts like when they use smaller weight but they have better definition than i am, or asking some advice because i just started working out like 3 months ago, and usually the conversation flow naturally. I often exchange numbers with several people if we meet more than occasionally and have a nice chat. but since i'm the only guy lover round then i'm not putting my hope too high... :icon_wink:icon_wink