1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP: Major Depressive Disorder and bad family situation

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Ravienclaw, May 18, 2015.

1. Ravienclaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't have a good enough relationship with anyone in my family to be able to talk to them about this, and if I tried they would get mad at me and tell me I'm being dramatic.
    Even though the therapist they forced me to go to told them I had MDD when I was 10 years old, I was never put on antidepressants. Maybe it was because I was too young at the time, maybe they didn't realize how serious it was, I don't know, but it's getting worse and I'm starting to think I need them.
    Middle school was a dark time for me. My dad made me transfer to a Catholic school, which was not really the best environment for me to be in while I started questioning my sexual orientation. Even before I came out I was bullied and excluded for being slightly overweight, awkward, and nerdy. That's when my depression first started getting worse and I began turning towards methods such as self harming to cope with it.
    For a while I thought it was getting better, but it's not. Instead of a constant feeling of sadness, it now occurs in cycles with signs/stages leading up to a major depressive "episode" where I feel intense emotional distress and anxiety.
    Last summer, during a particularly bad episode, my mom & grandmother (whom I live with) found out I was self harming and they totally freaked out. My mom just started crying and telling me over and over that she didn't want me to die and my grandmother... she called me a "psycho" and a "freak" and told me that if she ever found me cutting again she'd kick me out of the house.
    I think that sort of scared me into staying clean for almost a year until today. An episode hit me last night and I don't know what to do anymore. My depression is interfering with my social life, with my grades, and pretty much ruining everything because I can't bring myself to care about anything anymore. When I actually do try to do something, I invest so much into it that if it doesn't come out perfect, I become so frustrated I start crying, which is embarrassing because it sometimes happens at school. I can hardly sleep. I'm always tired. I'm not even 16 yet and my periods have stopped and I'm already finding white hairs, which I'm assuming is because of the stress I'm dealing with.
    How do I deal with this? How do I make this stop? How do I approach the topic with my family without getting yelled at again or kicked out?
    I feel so hopeless.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pleased you created this thread to tell us about your feelings. It's very hard dealing with depression as it sucks the life out of you and if you have no positive outlet for your feelings it just makes everything seem so much worse. Was it hard for you to write about everything or does it feel a little bit better to let it out? Either way, you did great in describing everything so well and I hope you will return to this thread if you need to talk some more. I care... we all do!

It sounds like you started self harming last summer to release some of the pressure that was building up inside. Did it feel as though it worked for you? Since then, and until today you have been "clean", but I know self harm is not an easy cycle to break, so I'm wondering if you tried anything - short of self harm - to help you cope? Things like these distractions:http://nshn.co.uk/downloads/Distractions.pdf

Can you tell me how you feel about the idea of therapy or talking to someone about your feelings? I only ask because you said:
    It sounds like you resisted therapy for some reason and I'm wondering if it was because you disliked the therapist they had chosen or if you dislike the idea of therapy altogether? Seeing a therapist would give you an outlet for all of this stress and pressure and that's really important when you are so low.

It sounds like you are under so much pressure, but you are also heaping pressure on yourself to do things perfectly. Where does the need for perfection come from?

I hope you will continue to use this thread for support, but if you'd rather talk privately, you can send me a PM anytime. Don't bottle things up. (*hug*)

3. Ravienclaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I really appreciate that you took the time to listen and reply so thoroughly. It was hard to post this, and I wasn't sure anyone would actually read it.
    I have been using distractions, like drawing on my arm, writing poetry, listening to music, and taking naps.
    You asked how I felt about therapy. At the time I resented going because I was already feeling isolated and I didn't see it as something "normal" kids had to do. I was afraid that if my peers found out it would give them another reason to laugh at me or think there was something wrong with me. I don't really feel this way now, but I hadn't really thought of trying therapy again. I might have to reconsider.
    As for the need for perfection, I think it comes from a feeling of never being good enough. I always feel like I have to prove myself to others and myself.
    Again, thank you for your response. It's so nice to know I have support.