1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A call to all bisexuals!!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ATtappman, May 19, 2015.

1. ATtappman

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello, all.

I'm writing this post because I think I'm bisexual but I've got a few hang-ups; I feel like a fraud. - I've always been really interested (not obsessed, exactly, but close) in the LGBT world, events, etc. - This is my first year of high-school, but ever since 7th grade I've been really excited to join GSA (which I did, and loved it). - the majority of my friends are LGBT people, and I love hanging out with them- they're so accepting and fun and open to anything and nerdy in a way I really appreciate. the thing is, I've never seriously questioned my own sexuality. But over the past year I've slowly become more and more androgynous, and over the past few months I've been getting, um, kinda "tuned on" by some of the girls I see around campus, etc. I don't feel gay enough to be gay, or straight enough to be straight... sometimes I just feel completely lost.

I'm in the middle of this anxious cloud right now where I feel like I've just "made this up" in my head. like, maybe if I'd just never questioned, I would still be totally sure I was straight, or something... Up until now I've lived/gone to school/known people entirely in a rural town in NH. I was never really familiar with the term 'Bisexual' or met any bisexual people or understood the concept and it's validity until the beginning of this school year. But I still feel like I'm "fakin' it" somehow (Simon and Garfunkel express all my life issues perfectly).
    The point of this post is that I really want to hear coming out stories/ experiences/ "when did you know" or whatever from other bisexual people. has EVERYONE known since they were a little kid that they were "different"?? Or do some people realize later into their teens or in adulthood? I guess what I'm asking here is, am normal???:confused:

#1 ATtappman, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
  2. ATtappman

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ps. I'm sorry if the heading on this thread seems REAALLYY creepy. totally didn't mean for it to be like that.... lol

3. waternation

waternation Guest

I didn't start suspecting anything until my early twenties. I'd had very limited exposure to LGBT things though before, and grew up under the impression of everyone around me (including myself) was by default straight :rolle: Very similar too - grew up in a rural town. My mum actually thought I was a lesbian in high school (because I never wore dresses or dated guys) and treated this like it was a bad thing, so I freaked out and even though I had had crushes on guys, I also knew that I had strong feelings towards my female best friend which I tried to dismiss. I wouldn't say that I always knew at all, or thought that I was different. I just assumed I liked guys like (to my knowledge) all the other girls around me did. I've been in a solid, loving relationship with a guy before, but the more exposed I was to the LGBT community like on uni campus etc. after we broke up and I started to become attracted to other people more, I started to accept that I wasn't straight, and that not everyone is, and there's so much pressure from society to conform to being heterosexual that it can make you kind of blinded to your own orientation and block it out.

Lol, I didn't see your question title as creepy :lol: It's pretty normal, I think too, not to begin questioning until you even begin to realise that your feelings for the same sex (or any other) could be valid. A lot of people get confused, I definitely was! But I really do think a lot of that confusion is from trying to look through the expectations of who you should be attracted to, instead of who you really are attracted to. I still find guys attractive, it's just more rare, but that's the way it's always truly been for me. I'm usually attracted to girls and get butterflies and all those other cheesy things around them a lot more, but I don't supress it or think it's wrong to have those feelings now. Because of learning more about others in the LGBT community, online and in real life, that helped that acceptance, so no, it's not strange. If you're worried that your mind is making you think you're bi or another sexuality other than straight if you really are straight, well maybe you are open minded and accepting of other people, or maybe you see some of these things in yourself. Attraction is much more than being "turned on", it's also thinking about being in a relationship with someone, so maybe that is something to consider. Even if you do turn out straight in the end, it's good to go against the default of assuming that you are and understanding that side of yourself more (*hug*)

#3 waternation, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
  4. ATtappman

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I apologize- I may have left some things out and accidentally misrepresented myself; I can totally see myself in a relationship with a woman/ having a future with a woman, family, etc. I'd really like to go out with a girl in the near-future, actually.... so, yeah, there's that.

- Thank you so much for your story. When I talked to my mom about how I felt, she confessed that she suspected I might be gay, too. :lol:

5. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, you're NOT A FRAUD! Your sexuality is valid and no matter where your preferences lie, bisexual is bisexual and nobody can - and shouldn't - call you a fraud. Have you heard of the Kinsey Scale? I'm a 2, sometimes 3.

I've noticed that I feel more than just friendship for my female friends when I was about 10/11. I got jealous when they talked to other people, male or female, and I just wanted to be near them. I even had a small crush on one of them. I didn't understand it then. But I learned about homosexuality soon after because one of the girls I practiced shot-put with has two moms, and the shot-put teacher was very butch.

It wasn't until I was about 16 that I really started to explore my feelings, and I ended up kissing my best friend's lesbian sister. Shortly following that, I got my first girlfriend, and things just made more sense from there on in.

And there's nothing wrong with only figuring it out at a later stage in your life. Are you normal? YES! Perfectly normal (*hug*)

6. NotQuiteOut

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi there! I just wanted to say that I was the EXACT same way up until last week(I came out to my sister last week). I was always intrigued by learning about all these cool new things. I used to joke around with my mom, telling her that we knew I was straight because I liked guys. But I started doing research and the more I got into reading several different articles and forums. I became closer with my best friend through all of this, and I just started noticing the way she did her hair. The way that her voice would get higher when she was talking in a hushed tone. I became so close to her at one point that I threatened her boyfriend that if he ever did anything to hurt her that he would get the living sh*t beat out of him. About a year later, I was in 8th grade, they were still together and he just was so disrespectful towards her. One day I just told her that I love her too much to watch him put her through Hell. And she told me "You're just jealous that I actually have someone to love me." My heart was just shattered by this, and so now I am homeschooled, because I couldn't stand loving someone who didn't love me back.

Haha, I'm not really sure what that story was suppose to accomplish, but there it is.

7. waternation

waternation Guest

Lol, mother's intuition, eh? :rolle: (well, for mine it was more like stereotying because not even I had any idea back then :eusa_doh:slight_smile: I hope that your mother reacted in an understanding way?

Oh, that's okay.. I just meant it was something to consider, because there's more than one sort of attraction and it takes a while sometimes to sort through them and figure it all out. Wasn't trying to imply you misrepresented yourself in that way, sorry :icon_sad:

8. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I grew up in a Catholic family in a predominantly Christian farming town. Homosexuality was not discussed unless it was in church in a negative manner (although I don't remember that happening). I'm not sure when I learned that other sexualities besides straight existed, but it may have been through fanfiction.

In high school I started to spend more time on the internet, meeting people from all walks of life. I remember going to a school dance and seeing an upperclassmen dancing with his boyfriend. Around this time I had a crush on a girl in my class, although I thought I just really wanted to be friends with her until years later.

When I went to college, for the first time I thought to myself "I'm straight, but if I fell in love with a girl that would be okay too." Junior year that exact thing happened. It wasn't until then that I accepted that I'm bisexual.

9. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know exactly how you feel, and can REALLY relate to what you're feeling. It took me years to understand and except what I was feeling. I felt like I kept bouncing back a forth because I liked that girl, but I didn't like that girl, and the same for guys. I felt like I was faking being straight, until i tried to think of myself as gay, then I'd feel like I was faking that too. I didn't even passively question my sexuality until I was about 17, and even then I didn't actively start thinking about it until a couple of years ago. I wasn't really interested in anyone at that age, so that probably had some hand in it.

I've come to appreciate that you love who you love, and labeling it the way you want doesn't change that. You can be basically straight and identify as straight, but still fall for someone same sex. Same for gay.

I made it easier for myself by thinking of the way I felt as open to anything. Not straight, not bi, not gay. Just what will be will be. Can't change who I am, or who I like. Then I finally decided to think of myself as bi. I knew gender wasn't important. Also, you can be a bi woman and only date men. doesn't make you any less bisexual. All that's important is that you accept the way you feel, however you want to label or not label it. It's okay to be bisexual, just as it's okay to not be bisexual. It took a while to get used to it. It didn't sit right to start with. But i know myself better now and feel much more comfortable, which only comes with time (which sucks, I know).

If labeling makes you anxious like it did with me, don't label it. Think of it as a wheel that's still spinning, like on those game shows, cycling though different sexualities. No need for it to stop yet, you're not ready. It'll come to a stop when you're ready for it, or you'll spin it again. You control your label (or lack there of). I feel like sometimes realising you are bisexual is hard as society has a tendency to want to make you either gay or straight. But take your time to figure it out. It's normal. It may even change as you get older (hormones can be crazy things). Identify how you want now, and adjust as you discover more about yourself. No pressure.

Sorry for how badly this was all written out. I'm not the best at writing, but I hope it's at least coherent. Hope you're feeling better soon. I know how much anxiety can mess with you.

10. Lyana

Are you normal, ATtappman? Well, probably not, but the question is -- what is normal, and do you even want to be normal?

In all seriousness, though -- you're really not late to the game. You're in high school, which is plenty young. I called myself straight all through high school, despite having LGBT friends and being very interested in and vocal about LGBT rights. Plenty of people come out to themselves much later in life!

If you're bisexual, the fact that you're attracted to the opposite sex may mean you don't think to question your orientation sometimes.

11. ATtappman

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Your reply helped me so much. It just took away a lot of the anxiety about whether I was having an... authentic?.... bisexual experience. I just felt late to the game, and weirded out by the fact that I had never had any obvious crushes on past female friends (everyone else brought that up in their experience) Anyway.... Just wanted to let you know how awesome it was to hear about someone's experience that was so similar to mine. :icon_wink