1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pet therapy?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Azrael, May 20, 2015.

1. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi all, well things have been... let's say I'm not as confident nor as self-assured as I was before, and let's say a couple of attempts on my life by myself has left me a bit... ergh... (don't worry, my last one was over 7 months ago). I was wondering if getting pets like a dog or a cat would help me be at peace with myself. But I also have a mum who's ardently against pets in the apartment.

So the questions are... does having a dog or cat help fill in an emotional void or something? should I get one? and how to convince my mum that I need one...

2. SilkySilhouette

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey!

I'm also thinking of getting a dog (probably Siberian Husky, I love them!). I am sure that having a pet dog would help you emotionally, it would make you forget about the bad stuff at least for some time, and that's why I'm also getting one...
    About the convincing... my dad is also against me having dogs/cats inside our house, but he said that as long as my dog is in our courtyard it's okay. So maybe you could ask your mum the same? I guess there would be no problems if you have your dog in your courtyard or something.
    I really recommend you get one! Hopefully you'll be able to convince your mum.

3. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks, it's just that we live in an apartment... on the 14th floor... I'm not sure how we can keep it in the courtyard...

4. TheStormInside

I live alone, but I have a cat, and she's a great companion. I'm all for pets as company. Just understand it's not the same as having a human roommate, and that your pet will require attention and care. (Right now mine is rumbling at me to get her her breakfast).

I don't think the pet will make you "at peace with yourself" but they can be a good outlet. They keep you company, they give you something to care for and look after. You make an emotional connection with them, too, of course. And if you were to get a dog it might force you to go out and walk, and possibly socialize with others, too.

Regarding your mom, what's the problem exactly? My dad doesn't like animals either, but he withstood pets in the house for my mom's sake when I was growing up, because she loves animals. With my father the biggest issues were the nails scratching floors, and hair getting everywhere. Hair can be worked with by getting a short haired breed and vacuuming often. Nails can be clipped or even covered. So maybe if there's a particular issue your mom has there's a way to work with it so you are both happy?

5. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I definitely agree with her. I'm a cat lover, so my advice is already biased... However a cat is easier to take care of (to be honest, cats do take care about people, specially by silently reminding you what a fool you are). The can be also very gentle, and to sleep hearing a cat purring next to you, to feel the warmth of it's fur is something you just have to experience to fully understand the feeling. There is not enough words to make justice to the love a cat is capable of.

If you can't keep it at home, you can always volunteer at an animal shelter. Those cats and dogs need love and will be very grateful to you.

6. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Animals can def fill an emotional void! However keep in mind they can be very expensive and it's kind of like having a kids...its a commitment you can't just give up on them or get bored with them and give them back etc...since your mom is against them maybe you should try volunteering at a rescue or an organization that works with animals...that way you can understand more about them and see what it's like to take care of one etc it'll also give you more of an idea of what kind of pet you would want

7. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've also suffered from depression and that was one of the reasons I got a cat. I mean, I really like cats anyway and I always wanted to adopt one, but therapeutic reasons heavily factored into it.

TheStormInside said it best, with a pet you have new responsibilities and someone to take care of, someone who depends on you, so it helps take you out of yourself and your own troubles. Taking care of a cat isn't a big thing. Mostly it's cleaning the litter box, feeding them, making sure there's always water in their bowl, and playing with them. Play time is important for cats.

I also bought a harness for my kitteh and I trained him to walk with me. He loves going outside, and it's exercise for both of us. You CAN walk your cat like a dog, it just takes a little time and patience. There are some awesome videos on youtube that show you how to train them, step by step, and it's easier than you'd think. A friend of mine even trained her cat to use the toilet and flush, but I haven't gotten that far lol. :grin:

My cat sleeps with me at night and likes to burrow into the blanket up against my side or my legs. Sometimes when I wake up he's right there, purring and happy. He likes to curl up with me on the couch. He also LOVES when I have company. Most cats get scared, run into the bedroom and dive under a bed when their owners have people over. Not my kitteh. I socialized him A LOT when he was a kitten, so when people are over he likes to be right out there with us, basking in the attention from new people.

Do your parents know you're suffering from depression? If they do (and I hope they know and understand) then maybe you can sell the idea as therapy, which it really is. You can also show them you're going to be responsible by reading up on all the aspects of kitty care and telling them you'll take care of kitteh yourself...that way they'll know it won't become just another one of their responsibilities.

Good luck keep us posted! :thumbsup:

8. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think cats have great therapeutic benefits
    i would get a pair so they can keep each other company

dogs too but they don't like being left alone

of course best if the whole family can agree and you all share the looking after
    maybe you can show your mum an article on the benefits

alternatively, can you get to interact with animals elsewhere
    learn horse riding
    visit farms
    friends with animals in their homes
    it all helps

good luck