1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recovering Spirituality?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sartoris, May 20, 2015.

1. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    DISCLAIMER: I'm only looking for comments, replies, etc. from people who identify as spiritual in some form, whether or not it includes being part of a religious community. This isn't an opportunity to promote non-belief or criticise faith and avoidance of it in this thread would be greatly appreciated.

For many months I've slipped into a lingering doubt about spirituality and especially the possibility of being reunited with loved ones after death which, whenever I think about it at length, is deeply troubling. Admittedly I was never brought up as anything particular, a 'cultural Christian' at best, thus have no background or personal experience with spirituality beyond my own inclinations and whatever trickled down to me from others and media. So naturally my sense of affirmation's always been shaky.

Even when I felt more spiritually-inclined, I wouldn't have considered myself a traditionalist. Ambivalent about the idea of an afterlife divided into heaven and hell, interventionist deities/deity and so forth while still having a sense the basic... cornerstones? of belief existed in some way. Not being adamant about any of these things probably left me very vulnerable, and after being "abandoned" by some close friends I'd recently made several months ago, various 'satellite' fears seemed to spill over into the shaky foundations of my own spiritual thinking. Leaving me incapable of believing, while still not an unbeliever, in anything and feeling sad, depressed, hopeless that there's nothing to believe in.

(Secular) Humanism and materialist [I don't mean the latter in the traditional negative sense, but an appreciation of the physical, tangible things if that makes sense] attitudes I'm not opposed to but they've never been enough. However vague, inexplicable it's been, being spiritual has informed my personality someway or other even if it was/is considerably underdeveloped. Now that it's gone, I feel much emptier than I already was and with how my mind tends to work along with other concerns it's harder to accept belief, faith, whatever you wish to call it and it's terrifying for me to reflect on.

Perhaps as a connection to this, something I recently considered and even discussed with my therapist this past Monday was that all this seems to coincide along my withdrawl/inhibition from creative engagement. Thinking about it, I suppose that art, whether in experiencing others or doing what little I can, in it's various forms [music, literature, painting, films, etc.] has been the closest I've felt toward being passionate or spiritual about anything. Yet I've only had limited engagement with it personally and nowhere near as far into anything as I'd like.

I just don't want to go through the rest of my life feeling that my hopelessness won't end or that I can cope with any separation in the long run knowing that it won't be a permanent thing. I guess in saying this, I'm curious what other spiritual people on EC have to say relating to their own experiences and based on all the aforementioned [which I'm more than willing to go into further if necessary.] Any support is deeply appreciated. :astonished:

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I can relate to you in many ways. I've been religious in the past and was raised as a Christian, but several years ago I stopped believing. Since then, I've been a huge skeptic and I really wanted to believe, but just couldn't and that made me really sad. It was like finding out Santa Claus wasn't real and no matter what, you couldn't believe in him again because you know the truth. So I've been trying really hard to believe and sometimes I have by getting more involved with my church and listening to some religious music sometimes, etc.
    The thing is, I'm not stressed out about it as much anymore but still a bit. Really I just want to do more research to figure out what I believe, since I still feel spiritual sometimes. I was thinking of reading up on different religions, but more-so Christianity since that's what I've felt the most connected to thus far. I know you're talking more spirituality than specific religious beliefs, but it could help to do some research and maybe explore some different types of spirituality. Maybe try something like meditation to feel spiritual. There are lots of websites online about different ways to meditate. There are also a lot of guided meditation videos on youtube.
    Anyway, hope this helps :slight_smile:

3. Jellal

I was raised in a half-Jewish half-Christian family, so growing up I spent weekends going to both temples and churches. This tradition tapered off and stopped entirely during my middle school years. I'd stopped going to church because I only went with my grandparents and we weren't doing it anymore. I stopped going to temple because I hated the kids there and as they got older they became more cruel, yet they were treated by the adults there as "star students of tomorrow," you know, stuff like that. It was hard to stomach. What sealed the deal was having to give donations to fuel an overseas conflict I wanted to take no part in. Politically I try to take a neutral stance, and I purposefully distanced myself from religion so that nobody would consider me part of their religious community. I never felt closer to the other people who "shared my faith." In fact, there wasn't much to my "faith." More than anything it was ritual, and it was a ritual I eventually decided I didn't want to live with.

I decided that I would take my own path to spirituality. Going to a library, or even browsing online to look up information about religious mythos, practices and esoteric philosophy feels much more like the path to knowledge I desire. There's something quite satisfying about grappling with those ancient mysteries on my own terms, for no reason other than my own ambition to learn. My peace of mind is in asking questions and toying with myriad answers. Recently I've been studying up on the 10 Sephirot of the Kabbalah. My interest in religion and philosophy is at an all-time high now that I've decided to make it my own subject of research. And there's something quite empowering about interpreting it the way I prefer rather than having someone tell me what to believe, or try to enforce my compliance through "rituals" or "communities." Maybe that works for some, but for me, spirituality is an isolated endeavor. Perhaps it's the same for you?

4. RedLynx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can be spiritual without religion. Religion puts people in a box. I, myself, don't identify with any existing religion though I was baptized as a Catholic Christian. I had been questioning religion since I was in my 20s because I felt like I really don't belong in any of them and had since stopped going to church. I do believe in a higher power and the Creator and so many things that humanity has no concrete explanation of.

5. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Despite having a catholic family I never had any problems with them accepting my sexuality abut despite their support I was fearful of going to hell or being hated by God. What I basically realized is Jesus's everlasting love for us is real and is greater than any sin and i think you can seek in the bible Jesus loved everyone sinner or non sinner. But the truth is we all sinners but at the same time if you believe in him you are always worth of his love and that dedicated belief in him is what gets you to heaven. He died on the cross not because we were horrible people but because he loved us more than any imperfection or sin.

Also about sin. Many verses were mistranslated into English and many verses about homosexuality are now thought to be mistranslated which is greatly disputing them today. But most importantly is what is in your heart. God knows your heart and knows the trials you go through and a loving reasonable God should understand your sexuality is no choice you made it is the way you were born. Why would a loving God condemn you to hell for something you were born with. You cannot help who you love and God wants you to be happy while believing in him forever. I think most verses too about sexuality in the bible are speaking of lust and not really referring to a committed healthy relationship. People also like to make the argument that marriage equals procreation but someone can be infertile by no fault of their own. A reasonable loving God wants you to have the fulfillment of a loving committed relationship and understands that love and faith is what makes a relationship not exactly having children or anything else for that matter. I hope this helps and is kind of the answer you wanted but have any questions just ask.

6. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    bubbles: That's a fair way of describing it, except that the whole 'Santa Claus' is definitely a closed door whereas this still feels a bit open. Not sure if this relates to your own experience, but does it seem that trying to believe actually makes the process more difficult? Not in just taking certain steps [meditating, participating in a community, etc.] but the mental effort in trying to do so, if that makes sense. In any case, it's frustrating to still have those spiritual inclinations while being uncertain how to satisfy them, like an itch one can't scratch.

I want to explore different spiritualities while perhaps focusing on Christianity slightly more because of my (limited) connection with it as well. It's an intimidating endeavour, if only with all the different materials, resources there are [even if we rule out the hardcore "traditionalist" ones.] :confused: Have you tried meditation or would recommend any particular YT videos/users to look up?

Jellal: I'm sorry that your past experience with spiritual communities was empty, for lack of a better word. :frowning2: That's the only good thing I can think of regarding not having any connection with them myself, avoiding halfhearted, shallow, intolerant "religious/spiritual" individuals who seem more invested in the ritual but not the ideas or deeper meanings of things. Yet at the same time, there's an appeal to the rituals that I regret missing out on? Perhaps that's contradictory, I'm unsure. Getting back to your experience, I find it interesting you drew a clear distinction between dissatisfaction with the people in your faith and being so with spirituality as a whole. Often it seems the latter leads to outright rejection of it entirely.

What has appealed to you in studying religious/spiritual mythos, practices and philosophy on your own and, if I may ask, how has it developed or applied to your own thinking since making your own path? To answer your question, while I'd like to be engaged with some sort of community whether it's an established one [ie religious] or one I've developed on my own through a social network I have usually considered my idea of spirituality as a personal, isolated endeavour. Even when thinking of myself as becoming (more) Christian, the idea of it being a contemplative thing made more sense than as an outward display of faith. Because I'm not looking or hoping for a sense of something rigid, concrete but at least that there is something to engage with, think about and experience throughout life. If that makes sense.

RedLynx: Oh, I know that but at the same time am not ruling out organised religions just as I'm remaining open to non-traditional and/or outside approaches. In fact, I've actually been very interested in exploring non-Abrahamic faiths and philosophies. Since you don't identify with religion, may I ask how you've been able to preserve your sense of spirituality rather than 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater?' If you will. :lol:

Dano: Unsure whether it's something I should clarify or if you're just explaining something related to your own experience, but my doubt is actually not connected with anything related to being LGBT*/queer, surprising as that may be. The notion of sin is another thing I don't feel traditional about. It and the possibility of guilt which comes along with it interest me more psychologically than morally, I'd say? But that's another topic...

Despite not being a dyed-in-the-wool Christian, I'm as open to exploring it as any other spirituality since I'm aware that plenty of queer people are capable of reconciling their faith with their sexuality, gender [or lack of either.] A friend of mine is actually a Methodist pastor who's also openly gay (Haha.) So my concerns, doubt are more with spirituality in general than contention with Christianity or organised religion.

7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No problem. I just went with the best response I thought of but in all honesty I was not sure exactly what you were getting at but I went with it anyway. Its all good.

8. Jellal

If there's anything that you might feel you miss about the rituals, it could be primarily for the sense of comfort they provide. I know it's easier to feel comforted when you are part of a tradition that carries the weight of a religious ritual. It gives your actions meaning, if you let it. But since you say yourself that spirituality is something you are comfortable enough approaching on your own, I don't see a real reason for you to join in a community unless you truly think it will be valuable for you.

Communal religion likely didn't work for me because I was always there determined to learn, and I was disinterested in making connections with other kids my age. At temple I was the stereotypical "loner villain who craves knowledge and sees no value in friendship," lol. All my friends were outside of that religious "zone," if you will, so I adapted a different mindset for how I approached religion. I think if I'd stuck with it I might've became a legitimate scholar in the field of religion. But as I said earlier, it was those kids who made me leave the whole thing behind because I never made connections with them, and being the outcast eventually became unbearable. Like I said, what sealed the deal and made me leave organized religion wasn't even the bullying. It was the blatant militarization of Judaism in the end that made me feel dirty even sitting in that temple, surrounded by people who supported the IDF. I never wanted to take sides, and I eventually got fed up by their aggressive hive-mind attitude.

This is why studying religion on my own has been so much more valuable for me. It's stripped away everything I hated, the violent and dogmatic idiots, the awkward social trappings, and left me with the raw content. Nobody tells me what to read or where to look, I can ask any question I like and I have countless resources available instead of relying on a single religious text. As for how it's applied to my own thinking, it's kept me thinking broadly. It's a pity that religion is practically synonymous with narrow-mindedness in today's world (that's been my experience, at least) and I think the main problem is the sadly all too-common "us vs them" groupthink taking precedence over the individual's path to knowledge.

If you want a more specific example of how my approach to spirituality has had an effect on me personally, it's been one of the major driving forces behind my wanting to become a fantasy fiction author. I like exploring concepts such as the interaction between divine figures and mortals in an earthly realm. I write about those sorts of things and how they shape people who grow up in a religiously driven world. It's given me the perfect outlet to talk about my own experiences with religion and transform them into something fantastic.

9. RedLynx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Interesting question... In the past few years I had been looking for answers, what religion should I belong to? It was confusing at first, but I just decided one day to just let it go. I'll have the answers at the right time. One depressing incident happened to me in the past that opened my mind to this new-found spirituality in me. Answers are raining down upon me at that time that I don't even know how to contain it. And that's how I dismissed my consideration of identifying with organized religion--that's because I don't need to belong to any one of them. :slight_smile: Even until now, I still have a lot of deciphering to do with those information that just comes to me. I may sound a bit insane to you, I can't blame you :lol:

The thing I'd like to point out here is this...You just ask for it...and the answers will come to you at the right time, when you're ready for it.

I know I talk in riddles, but that's how the universe will convey its message to you. Yours might be or most likely will be different from what I had experienced. But the fact that you're dealing with your spirituality right now is a sure sign that you're going to the path of awakening...

Have a blessed journey :slight_smile:

10. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jellal: Something along those lines. What little I know of Christian rituals, depending on the sect, for example has interested me because of the historical and cultural traditions surrounding them. It seems to allow for a certain mood or experience in a communal setting, if one participates with sincerity, that can be hard to describe. While I can approach this on my own, guess I'm a bit concerned with continuing to feel like an outsider in yet another respect. It'd be great to find a spiritual community, even if it's varied and of my own making through networking, especially of people within my age-group to connect with. When it comes to younger people, I often notice extremes, whether or not either's predominant: the hardcore traditionalists or the atheistic, agnostic and/or areligious types. And with the people I seem naturally drawn toward on- or offline they usually tend to fall more into the latter category, though not always. Even my closest friend who I bond with on many other points can't relate to my spiritual concerns.

It's (unfortunately) ironic that you more genuinely spiritual than other people you've met in communal religion, yet are left feeling like an 'outsider' because of it [along with the political differences.] Since spirituality has long been a major force in your life, regardless of context, can I presume there wasn't much conflict in leaving behind the communal/organised aspects of it as there can be for others? It's very disappointing that it's become synonymous with narrow-mindedness, even if it's understandable. Especially, to echo your comments, because the importance that spirituality/religion can provide on a solely personal level has been neglected in the face of the near-endless stream of arguments, debates, etc. on a variety of different social topics [within and outside of these communities.]

I think that makes sense, do you find mythology allows for more flexibility, engagement and/or individual creativity?

RedLynx: Actually, I was wondering more specifically how you distanced yourself from organised religion without rejecting spirituality as a whole. Though going from your response, I'm interested in how the depressing incident was able to open your mind and what sort of answers were coming to you? Unless you mind me asking about either.

Sort of repeating what you've said, I suppose it's important that there's still a conflict, maybe suggesting that I still believe in something but am having trouble with it for other reasons. Things I need to grapple with.

-----------------------------

As a general comment, I occasionally wonder how come it's easier for some to accept spirituality than others or why some struggle with it so much? It's hard for me to relate to some who're genuinely so, regardless of affiliation, and/or have had some sort of experience to affirm it when I feel so isolated in this respect. Though instead of writing it off as proof of there being 'nothing,' ask myself how much this... silence is influenced by various other factors [depression, low self-esteem, etc.]

Along with trying to pursue this subject on my own more, as some of you have already discussed and suggested, I'd like to think that trying to pursue artistic endeavours more could stimulate those vague spiritual inclinations I still feel. But I've felt so low or neutral for many months now that I'm skeptical of any 'solutions.' Do any spiritual individuals, in addition to researching, engaging with spirituality/religion feel like they're participating in it through additional means at all?

11. RedLynx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know if posting of links is allowed in here, but you may wanna look at these sites for referrence. (Anyway, I don't claim ownership of these sites and they don't contain my personal information.) Please do make use of your own discernment when dealing with all info on these sites:
    in5d.com
    simonarich.com
    Enjoy :slight_smile:

12. wasgij

Death is a very strange topic. I'd call it an "unknown unknown". It's pretty clearly defined, but only for other people and never for you personally. There's plenty of empirical evidence of people all around us dying every day, but virtually nothing on its quality, how it might feel, or if it actually exists for the person who is allegedly going through it.

Immortality is always a hot topic, especially now with senior Google heads doing misguided vanity projects: Kurzweil and his anti-ageing fluff. Even if they gain some measure of success or cure some genetic illnesses, mostly it'll just mean that some people will appear to live relatively longer compared to mankind's typical lifespan. I'd like to hear what their underlying motivation for it is, because it's not self-explanatory. It seems like childish greed or gluttony for superficial bucket-list/trophy style things in life, and fear of growing up. It's basically Peter Pan syndrome.

Has anyone considered that maybe we're already immortal? That a second is actually like a 1000 years, and that we're just ignorant because we fail to see how much happens in that time?

Maybe it's not just an illusion that "our personal universe" seemed to begin for us when we were conceived? Maybe a synthesis of Last-Thursdayism and relativistic space travel (to make everything "age" faster) can help us realise that our conception coincided with the Big Bang? The memory of time does seem highly non-linear (e.g.: our younger years get more and more compressed, while "objective" frames of reference such as a calendar year feel like an eternity in childhood, but much shorter in adult life), but that wouldn't make sense if our time was just a little slice from something much bigger. People's different perceptions of history just wouldn't fit together if they're all correct, yet non-linear and with different starting points.

I don't know about what might come 'after' death. Maybe we have some kind of soul that persists after death. Maybe we really do become the living memories in other people's heads? Maybe there's an afterlife; maybe we get reincarnated. Maybe the ego gets thoroughly annihilated? And mine thinks that that option sounds rather sad, but of course I would think that...

13. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    After decades of defining myself as a convinced atheist, I had a brief reconciliation with religion as I started to read the bible again. Those were really happy times. I even went beyond and got interested about spirituality in general. I didn't recovered my faith because there was nothing to recover (I've been trying to understand the idea of God my whole life, and I never had any success).

It could have had a happy ending, my 'romance with the bible'... Having faith protects you from being confronted with the absurdity of life or the existential loneliness... But after my partner died, after I was a witness of so much pain, I became aware again that in this damned life we are on our own for good and bad, and that's all about it...

There is no possible explanation to the amount of cruelty we see around. I can't accept the idea of a merciful, loving god, after what I saw and lived through. I don't think the death of this person could have been justified, specially since he was just a loving, hard working individual who didn't deserved such an abrupt and absurd end.

And there is more like him... People who suddenly die for no reason in wars, in hospitals, in a damned random earthquake, just everywhere... Even little children who live until the age of 7 and then some cancer or dissease takes them away... So where is God then? What kind of God would do something like that?

It's true that we must learn from those experiences, but I don't need to add 'God works in misterious ways'. I don't need that after my own sentence. I just don't dig your God, and even if I respect your ideas, I don't want you around preaching me...

What I'm after is what's beyond nature : The science behind it, how everything works... I find my spirituality there, where Knowledge is.
    Knowledge is my only God, and I experience the same passion and love of it that the saints and martyrs... Maybe after all I'm a spiritual person too, kind of...

And love, of course... Love is my God as well.

In my case this would be specially tempting... Sadly, as I have said, I just can't believe in God or in the afterlife, my brain just won't allow it even if psychologically speaking would take a lot of pain away, but I just can't, the way my brain is wired won't allow it.

#13 Michael, May 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2015
  14. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a general update, I'm a little bothered that my spirituality concerns have been sliding onto the backburner again. I don't know how to encourage myself to deal with it more, between work, attempting to make time for myself and generally feeling... cast-off? when I try to express these [and other concerns in general] to others it's starting to seem hopeless. Some days, moments I feel a bit happier though it never seems enough to start encouraging myself again.

RedLynx: So far as I understand, links are allowed so long as they aren't to personal pages. Thanks for the links, I may try checking them out at some point.

wasgij: "It's pretty clearly defined, but only for other people and never for you personally." Yes, exactly and it's this which makes up alot of my frustration. Based on conversations or what I've read from others, many have greater assurance of there being something or even have personal experiences which encourage their spirituality. Mind you I'm not expecting something clearly defined, let alone ever being able to understand, just that I'd like to feel there is some thing to look forward to or hope for (again.)

About the immorality, extending lifespans bit that feels like something of a different, if not unrelated topic, and there seems to be a fine line between simply having a long, well-lived life and wanting to extend it merely for the sake of it. I'm not sure.

"Maybe it's not just an illusion that "our personal universe" seemed to begin for us when we were conceived? Maybe a synthesis of Last-Thursdayism and relativistic space travel (to make everything "age" faster) can help us realise that our conception coincided with the Big Bang? The memory of time does seem highly non-linear (e.g.: our younger years get more and more compressed, while "objective" frames of reference such as a calendar year feel like an eternity in childhood, but much shorter in adult life), but that wouldn't make sense if our time was just a little slice from something much bigger. People's different perceptions of history just wouldn't fit together if they're all correct, yet non-linear and with different starting points." Could you clarify this a little bit? :/

Regardless, while I don't know what may happen after death, I'm tempted to think there's something if only because many others throughout time have seemingly had personal, non-opportunistic experiences even if they all vary considerably. I even wonder if it has to be connected with religion, notions of god(s) or what have you. Just wish I could over come the emotional block I seem to have these days (in general) and believe again.

Michael: Perhaps due to depression and/or generally feeling 'numb' to many things, honestly the issue of whether god, if there is one, is benevolent or cruel hasn't concerned me much. I'm not sure whether I find it irrelevant, feel there's more to spirituality than a black-and-white picture of things which both believers and non-believers can suggest.

I'm extremely sorry about your partner's death and how it, along with other things, has effected you.

15. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    May I weigh in? I hope I am getting the right end of the stick here...

The yearning for god (I think that is what you describe) seems to be a common thread running through human history. There seems to be a general appreciation in human beings that something else exists, or someone else, and that to be fulfilled we need to relate to him (male pronoun used for convenience and tradition's sake!).

Augustine of Hippo expressed it in his Confessions 'My heart was restless until it found rest in you'. Sometimes in modern churches one hears it said that we have a 'god shaped hole' in us, that only god can fill.

Approaches to god are varied. Clearly if God is all traditional religion claims him to be (I am a Catholic, btw) he is greater than any religious system. We are all unique individuals, and how we relate to god is unique to us. Or at the very least, varies from person to person.

My own relationship with God is fraught. Recently I read a book by a friend of mine, in which he describes being devastated by the feeling of God being absent. This 'Dark Night of the Soul' experience seems common. I find the complete opposite. God is always there, despite my best desire for him to go away and leave me alone.

More specifically, religion does provide for creativity, in an aesthetically pleasing way. This is mostly true in Christianity of the Catholic tradition, or Orthodoxy. I enjoy the drama of ritual, the music, the vestments, the incense, the flickering candles. My own approach to God is aesthetic, and more about doing things (ritual acts) than assenting to theological propositions, or anything like that.

16. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    honey as a future video game designer i feel like some games act like a mini-life we are the god in them we make everything but we then let the player do this do that and according to what he does the game plays along
    for example in games where there is no specific story but random chances thrown at the player that can be stopped for example
    an action game where you make your own army and stuff and for example the guy\girl had a crush on someone and lets say they confessed to that person and they became partners one day a war happened you went together now while fighting you are protecting your partner all the time there is a chance they might die if :
    1-one of the bombs exploded near them
    2-someone shoot them before you knew it
    3-someone was going to shoot you and they took the bullet for you
    etc.....many chances are generated by the game engine and once one of them happens you cant go back you cant blame who made the game for that and you cant blame yourself cause there was a war and anyway even if you survived that war there are always car accidents and maybe even a terrorist attack or a flood or anything and in the end if the game kept all the characters that you interact with alive it will overload the game saves with many people saved so from time to time the game might generate a death for someone if it fails on that someone then it passes to another
    life on the other hand is the game people in the past lived more than thousands of years maybe because on earth alone there was barley some people living now every spot of the earth is heavily populated if nature kept all those animals humans and everything alive and they kept reproducing where are you going to live you will overload the earth look whats happening now its not a game god made to see you die its because when the earth gets really so populated it has to replace old people with new ones the death of someone will generate a new born but they are not the same soul they are just in place of someone else
    about cancer and other stuff that happens to kids why dont we look at african kids who die of starvation the moment they are born ?
    did you know that i read a study once about gay people being more nature made because we need more working hands and caring people and make this 10% of population not reproduce but instead care about the produced that is already thrown by straight people god did not make us gay but the world needs gay people they are people who give more than they take though god made the world like this but he did not select who becomes gay and who not its how your life occurs and how your mind is its not like god has a creation program that creates every part of us up there in the sky then throws an ID in our mother's womb yes he is a creator but he created adam and eve with the ability of having kids the rest is just how many people married each other until those many many shapes of human beings were created
    honey the world is cruel but what really is cruel here is not god its humans why cant all those rich countries make a solution to those starving people in places where there is no work they can go picture them and send the videos all over the internet but they cant pay them to at least eat any kind of food that could just keep them alive tell me that god did that again please cause what i see here god is showing us how selfish us humans are
    The UN employees get paid at least for the very least 1000$ per month and that's after cutting off the health insurance and all that some get paid 10x more than this and yet when refuges in places like syria cant pay to even get a shampoo and the UN gives them Aids they give them the worst and the most cheapest stuff the cheapest food the worst quality they can ever get a guy once was given a shaving cream his face turned to a tomato and his face got so irritated and was filled with big pimples they cant even give those poor refuges something that works they give them something cheap and not even used by poor people or low income don't even them buy them
    and you come and tell me that god did this where is god?? in life god cant always look after all the humans but he left the task for humans to look after each other when humans become selfish and when people kill each other or when a war happens because of religion misunderstanding or when crazy teenagers speed up and kill people carelessly don't blame god blame these people for being stupid and ignorant and self centred
    AND BTW IM NOT OFFENDING YOU im just making a point i respect that you don't believe in god but throwing all the messed up problems that were created by humans on god is just not right because its us humans who did this
    also im sorry about your loss no one deserves to die i know but we cant control life and death its how life is idk what happened to your partner but death doesn't happen only for bad people no matter how bad the way your partner died that doesn't mean he deserved it hell many evil people are still alive while good people die young

17. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel that a lot of people are too focused on justifying their religious beliefs and ethics. I think that is why some people are so focused on following every word in the bible without questioning it. I consider myself a very spiritual person, though I do not practice many traditional religious customs. I have always dictated what my religion means for myself. What does your spirituality mean to you? It doesn't make you any less spiritual to not always agree with the bible or to not go to church all of the time. Your spirituality is a part of your mind.

18. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Joshy, just a friendly reminder : Even if we cannot control life and death... We can control our keyboards, and punctuation does matter. I'm sorry, but I wasn't able to read everything you wrote.

To Sartorius... If you don!t care about making a moral judgement about this 'entity', your spirituality must be then a belief on different forces interacting, and thus keeping an 'order'.

How would you explain our existence then? Why this world, and not another one? Or do you agree that everything possible it's happening inside a huge 'right now', and time is just an illusion?

If you are not looking for comfort... Are you looking for an explanation, or do you just 'feel it'?

I'm sincerely curious about the spiritual experience... Is it useful? Or does it put you under pressure, as most of religions usually do?

19. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Camel: Of course, I appreciate the input of any spiritual individuals on the forum and you've got the right end of the stick (Haha.)

That aspect of human life, civilisation has always interested me. How this yearning has existed regardless of region, culture or whatever. Of course it has different meanings or explanations for different individuals, but if nothing else it's managed to have some significance for me still. So far as approaches being varied, that's also very important and I don't think of being spiritual and religious as synonymous [as others have likewise said.] Not sure if this is how you feel, but religion seems largely a cultural way of connecting with spirituality perhaps? Based on traditions, ways of living, etc.

May I ask why your relationship is fraught? [You can reply privately if you prefer.] The 'Dark Night' does seem extremely common, a friend of mine actually used that phrase when I wrote about my concerns via email once. Strange that such despondency often seems connected with those who (eventually) regain or solidify their faith or sense of spirituality.

"More specifically, religion does provide for creativity, in an aesthetically pleasing way. This is mostly true in Christianity of the Catholic tradition, or Orthodoxy. I enjoy the drama of ritual, the music, the vestments, the incense, the flickering candles. My own approach to God is aesthetic, and more about doing things (ritual acts) than assenting to theological propositions, or anything like that."

I always find it interesting when others feel this way, because I'm somewhat the same and appreciate the potential for creative inspiration given by spirituality. Getting more specific, it's actually a considerable part of my considering looking into Catholicism more. Strange as that may sound...

Awesome: That and, based on what others have told me, many people have tended toward a more literal reading of religious texts, often without context or what have you, than reading and reflecting on them.

I don't really know what spirituality means for me right now, which was my essential purpose in creating this thread. As a way to connect with other queer spiritual people who've struggled with this. Could I ask what it's meant for you?

Michael: I'm still trying to understand what spirituality means to me, so I'd prefer judgments weren't made about what it is or isn't. Never said I wasn't looking for comfort, however I feel the concerns and questions I have are essentially different from those expressed in your reply.

20. Shelbystang67

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Dano218 thank you for your words. Lately, I have been struggling with life in general. I am a Christian and love the Lord with all my heart. But I am also a lesbian. I accepted Jesus into my heart 6 years ago and was baptized 4 years ago. To make a long story short, I lived an out of the closest lifestyle, met my bestie (who also is my ex - it was a short lived relationship - we were meant to be good friends). We started going to church, were convinced that our lifestyle was wrong and both decided to live a hetero lifestyle. She was successful at this and is now married and has had 3 more children to join her daughter she had from a previous hetero relationship as a teenager. As for me, not so successful at that lifestyle. I tried and tempted to date men but nothing ever worked out or really felt right. It's just not me. Not who I am. I just not into men. Now I live a single life and have for a few years. I struggle these days because I know what I like and who I am but I don't want to go against God. But then I think, we are suppose to love everyone and accept them as they are. Jesus did love all sinners and we are all sinners. My struggle is, if this lifestyle is wrong then why is possible for me to love someone of the same sex so much. Why would I be allowed to feel such love if it is wrong. My sisters are my biggest supporters. Recently while visiting one of my sister, she sat down with me and told me over and over that "baby Jesus doesn't make mistakes". This has stuck in my head ever since. Although I know that to be true, I still sit and wonder if I am a mistake. I'm just so miserable right now because I want to do the right thing but I also want to be happy and not alone for the rest of my life. Sorry I know I am rambling... I'm just so conflicted and confused.