1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my family doesn't want me to dress like a boy

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ilovesg, May 22, 2015.

1. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I tried to do it gradually but my family won't even let me do that. If I pick out a pair of shoes or jacket or something they always say "those are boy shoes/clothes" I don't know why it matters to them so much. My sister saw a guy one time who had the same shirt as me and she thought it was hilarious for some reason. Tommorow I'm going shopping with my mom and she wants to find something for me to wear to my graduation. She always tries to get me to wear dresses and she knows I don't like them but I don't know what to tell her. I don't want to just flat out say I want to dress like a boy but I don't know how else to approach it.

2. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You could just tell her that you feel more comfortable wearing boy's clothes. It's about how YOU feel, not her. I don't know your age but if you're 18 then no one can tell you how to dress.

3. ATtappman

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hmm... That's rough, man. Fortunately, my family (excluding my mean 10yr old sister) is totally supportive of me being a little bit genderqueer in speech and dress. My mom has gotten used to buying me boys' clothes, and my dad doesn't really care. I'm sorry to hear that your family is trying to force you into a gender role you don't feel comfortable in.
    There are several options you have...
    1. Although you don't want to, being very direct about it might be a good way to go. It's tough to lay yourself out there, but it could result in A. your parents just getting over it, or B. your parents at least understanding where you're coming from. Either way, I think you'll gain at least a little bit of ground by being decisive.
    2. If you have enough money, you could always buy your own clothes on the sly. Be who you want to be and don't care how your parents want you to dress.
    3. You could just keep picking out boys' clothes when you're out with your mom, dropping little hints, and hope that they finally just give in/get over themselves/accept you.

I feel for you, and I wish you all the luck in the world with this.

4. Gen

Gen

A possible compromised would be to find dress attire in the women's department that is actually fairly gender neutral. There are plenty of women in the world who do not head to work in dresses and high heels. Direct her to the women's business attire department and find a nice outfit. Combat her comments by showing that you are buying "women's clothes".

5. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am 18 but my mom still pretty much pays for all of my clothes so idk if I can use that excuse lol

---------- Post added 22nd May 2015 at 09:01 PM ----------

thank you! I think I'm just going to tell her if she asks me to wear a dress. My mom doesn't seem to care as much as my sister and dad so hopefully she doesn't mind

---------- Post added 22nd May 2015 at 09:04 PM ----------

that's what I usually do. I have a bunch of "girls" shirts that she buys me just because they're in the girls section even though they're not girly at all lol a dress is a little more difficult though. hopefully I can just wear pants

#5 ilovesg, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015