1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Troubled by the death of someone I barely knew

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Aptiva, May 23, 2015.

1. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So there was this girl who I didn't really know, but went to school with from grade 9 to grade 12. She was really nice, and she was a friendly person. Unfortunately, I discovered that she had committed suicide just a few days ago. Even though I barely knew her, it's still quite upsetting - I feel terrible about it. I don't know why I am feeling so rough and horrible because of this because we were mere acquaintances. It also reminds me about how often I wish I were dead because I am also depressed.

Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

2. kinerity

First things first - don't wish you were dead. You have your whole life ahead of you! (*hug*)

As for being troubled by the death of someone you barely knew, I can relate. My biggest weakness as a person is I care too much about other people before myself. For instance, I grieved when Leelah Alcorn committed suicide. I never even met her (having lived 2 states away), however it's always sad and troubles me when we lose someone - especially in the LGBTQ community.

3. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with kinerity. Don't wish yourself dead. Life has its ups and downs, but it really can be quite good you know!

The death of this girl probably resonated with you because of your own emotional state. I would guess you are probably quite a sensitive person, too. That's good. whilst it is not always easy, it is far better than being a heartless bastard, believe me.

4. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The same exact thing happened to me. There was a guy in my class and I barely knew him. I don't remember him ever talking to me and I think the only time we interacted was when he took a picture of me for his snapchat story. A few months later I heard something happened to him and when I got to school I heard he committed suicide. It was hard because I had to take a test with his empty seat next to me. I cried all day and I was so upset. I was depressed at the time and it made me sad that we were feeling similar things and no one was there to help him. I think it's totally normal that you feel like this it shows that you are a caring person. Let yourself grieve and feel sad. It will be ok.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Suicide is just bad, honestly. Accidental deaths happen; we are all mortal. However, knowing that somebody's life was so awful that they saw death as a desirable alternative and felt it strongly enough to follow through is more agony than a single person can handle.

There's really nothing you can do except recognize that it's a rough situation and remember her. :frowning2:

6. itsmary

Suicide is so sad. I have thought about the idea of killing myself several times but I know I wouldn't do it because we people have an impact on other people, and some of them love us as we are and would suffer if we died.

We have to be strong for those people.(&&&)

7. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's really difficult for me, as it is a difficult to control mental disorder that I have.

---------- Post added 23rd May 2015 at 05:02 PM ----------

Sometimes I think I'm too sensitive for my own good. I have a feeling that's why I was so affected by her death too, is because I have similar issues to what she had.

8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What might be hurting you is the absurdity of it. You were convinced she was a happy girl and then... BAM... Surprise.

Makes you wonder how many happy people are really lonely and desperate, makes you focus on the mask they might be wearing, and then it's hard to enjoy it because you are so aware it might be a mask... Right?

I'm also way too sensitive when it comes to other people's suffering. Even when someone tries to emotionally blackmail me, what really gets me is the fact that the poor bastard has to go through life trying such a thing... I'm sorry for him or her, really sorry.

In your situation that death would have hit me too. I think your reaction is perfectly normal. It might be a sign you have issues with death, but I do also have issues, so I don't know exactly what I could say to make you feel better...

Life is death, and death is life, that's all... Shouldn't be that way, and I have hopes we'll overcome death, the question is when and how... We need to keep this faith alive, it's the only weapon we've got to fight it.

This is only the beginning of your trip... I send you a hug, even if it's useless I send it to you anyways.