1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is preference a form of discrimination?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by jp97, May 23, 2015.

1. jp97

I know this probably sounds like a weird or stupid question, but please hear me out. So when a person thinks about what they want in a partner both physically and personality wise they have a large list of qualifiers and a list of what they don't want and what i'm asking is a person descriminating against others in their preference of people? An example is that I find neither feminine men nor men of african decent( no offense) atractive at all and I feel that my feelings towardsthem sexualy is a form of discrimination even though I have nothing wrong with either of them personaly and I feel kind of like a racist, dumb I know, but that's how I feel. so any thoughts on this would be great.

2. Gen

Gen

Discrimination is the act of depriving something of someone based on certain characteristics. No one has a right to being with another person, so no. It isn't discrimination.

Is it the most open minded way of thinking? Not really.

For instance, African descent couldn't be further from a universal characteristic. All Africans do not share a common skin, eye, or hair color. Regardless of whether others consider it racist, many would consider it simpleminded because that is not something that you can quantify and actually determine in reality.

3. Andronas

I am replying to lend my agreement to this statement. :x

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sure, and by all means, put it on your dating profiles in order that everyone else can know who to run away from.

5. Sarcastic Luck

No it's not. If I'm not attracted to a trait, then I'm not attracted to that trait and nothing in the world is going to chance that.

6. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I just got to love this girl...

7. ZenMusic

Erm...no, but I find it a bit surprising that you find an entire race of people unattractive. Me and Gen probably don't look exactly the same, and I doubt you have met every black person on the planet, so it just seems a little close minded.

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Not at all. Nobody has the right to be attractive to other people. Otherwise anyone who is non-bisexual is a bigot by definition (which is already the logic of people on Tumblr)

9. gorillabrain

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You like who you like, But you may come across someone you've always said your not attracted to and happen to fall for them...

10. HugasaurusRex

I am mainly attracted to guys from Asia. But that does not mean I hate everyone who is not Asian. So no, it is not discrimination...Just means Asian guys are hotter :wink:

11. LD579

There's a difference between preference and outright exclusion. Even still, we can't force someone to like a trait without serious societal change and representation in ads and media, but people should learn to keep their mouth shut instead of blaring their "preferences" which can often amount to "no fats no femmes no asians no blacks". I'm not going to stop someone from liking a conventionally attractive, masculine white guy, or from putting that in a dating profile or anything, because there's a big difference between that and between excluding groups of people, and naming what is "undesirable". Feasibly, on a personal level, that's mostly what one could realistically ask of another.

On an individual level, we can ask ourselves why it is we feel we're attracted to some kinds of people and not others. Seriously considering why we like things and whether there may be some discrimination in there can potentially alter our own views, and is something that I've done, with the end result of being able to find many more people attractive to me.

12. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I don't know if I fully agree that excluding an entire group is wrong, it just depends on how It's done. Obviously if someone said "No non-whites ever" It's kind of weird since not all races have the same facial features, and so on. However, if exclusion were to be 100% wrong, we would also have to say that nobody is allowed to be straight or gay since you are excluding a whole gender or biological sex (Especially since women can do a lot of things men can do! Women can be masculine, they can top, they can have penises or choose to not use their vaginas in sex...whatever the "gay guy" is into).

However, I don't think people should use exclusive language in dating profiles; it makes someone look like an asshole and you can just reject someone in private if you're not interested.

13. Jellal

I don't consider preference to be a form of discrimination, but people tend to take things very personally. Some get very upset over the concept that not everybody in the world wants to fuck them! I say it's better that you're clear about your preferences that you way you can avoid an awkward situation further down the road. The bottom line is, like it or not, a whole shit-ton of people in this world have "preferences" and they're not going to satisfy everyone. So don't feel bad about it. Save people the grief of dealing with an embarrassing situation later, and sort out your desires at the door.

14. norcal

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think what it really comes down to is preference. Personally, I prefer to be in a relationship with a white guy. I wouldn't date a black or Asian guy, because that's my personal beliefs. I don't find them attractive. There's nothing wrong with that, it's very similar to food. I personally dont like tomatoes. But it's a preference.

15. Ravienclaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    No, as long as you're not rude about it. I'm white/hispanic, and I prefer girls who are black or hispanic because I find a lot of their common physical features attractive (curves, full lips, medium complexion, curly hair etc...) and I'm not really attracted to Asian girls because they generally don't tend to have those features. But I'm not going to automatically reject girls that are white or Asian or tell them "sorry, I don't want to date you because of your race" ... for me it's just a slight preference, not the end all be all of the qualities I'm looking for in a partner

16. Gandee

Gandee Guest

I would like to say something. What you think you are attracted to is different from what you are attracted to. For a longest time I thought I was only attracted to white guys but being in an international environment I found myself attracted to guys of different ethnics. I have no control over my likes and dislikes. It's all a buffet for me now.

17. mrgizmo911

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    you just feel the way you do.. you see for me i don't like when two gay twinks date. I feel there should be one masculine guy and one feminine guy in a gay relationship... its just how you feel in a sexual driven relationship.

Hope this Helped!

-Matthew (!)

18. LD579

That's all very fine and well if that's what you prefer for you, but we can't judge or police other people's relationships, such as not liking two gay twinks dating.

19. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

How is that different than heterosexual standards we claim to hate so much?

20. Miko

Miko Guest

I think it really comes down to how you go about presenting that preference.

If it's just a preference then fine, you're entitled to say what and who you are attracted to and who and what you are not attracted to.

It's only racism if you start to say "This person is less than me because of this prejudice factor" or "You should hate this person because of this prejudice factor!" If you're not doing either of those or things similar to those you're fine.

Just my opinion of course. ^^