1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just some random thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by AJ56, May 25, 2015.

1. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I've just come to realize that I might be gay. And it just sickens me to hear what some people say about gay people. Why do some people have to be so ignorant? People like this will never understand what it's like to be attracted to the same sex. Being gay is not something a person can change. It's just how we are. I just wish I could make these people understand. :tantrum: I don't know. I just needed to let this out.

2. atoadaso

atoadaso Guest

It's this weird archaic idea that's been passed down. I don't know where it started, since even ancient & native civilizations accepted their queer people. I think most of the folks that spout ignorance & hate don't really understand what they're doing. They can't see why we'd be that way, why others would accept it, anymore than we can understand why they don't.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    AJ, you're totally right. But you can take heart because more and more people agree with you. I don't know if general shittiness from people will go away for good soon, but the times, they are a' changin'. Gay marriage is legal all over! Imagine if this argument took place in the '50s. Most of the nation would be convinced that the end of days was imminent. Now? Gay people are coming out in droves and while it's not perfectly rosy, it's leaps and bounds better than it used to be.

Even if we could change though, and eliminate same-sex attraction, why would we? Aside from social pressure there's virtually no reason to turn away from that part of yourself. I'm bi or pan so consider myself extremely lucky to see beauty in so many places, but attraction is what turns into love, which is what turns into life.

#3 Argentwing, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
  4. twister692

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It sickens me as well. Makes everything 100x more difficult sometimes than it already is. The thing that keeps me going is the dream that one day in the next generation, being an orientation other than straight will not bat anyone's eye. You like girls? Cool! You like men? Cool! You like both genders? Whatevs!

I strongly believe a day will come when everyone will be able to celebrate life and love and not have to defend their love.

That is what keeps me going.

5. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think there are many reasons why people think the way they do, although like none of them make sense. I think it has to do a little with norms, created by who knows who, who thinks life is suppose to be a certain way. And people just kind of roll with it and can't change. The Fear of the unknown.
    And even if someone disagrees with a lifestyle, it doesn't mean you should verbally attack them or harm them. Although I never really liked people being saying they are "tolerant", it just seems so negative to me.

Overall I think everything just takes time, the greatest things don't happen over night. I liked to think it's generational, of course there will always be those few bugs who have to try and ruin the party for everyone.

6. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you all for your thoughts. I appreciate it very much. I'm with you twister692. I hope that one day a person's sexual orientation will not matter. You have given me hope for the future of the LGBT community. Thank you for the positive commentary.
    Argentwing - Yes it's true that times are changing, and I think that's a good way of looking at same sex attraction. Why should we have to change? It is a unique part of ourselves. It's always good to be different.

7. HugasaurusRex

Well first off...Hello and welcome to EC...A place and collection for all the insane....Wait sorry never mind that's just me!
    Well why do we need them to understand? I am gay and I could not be happier! I do not have to hide my flamboyant self without worrying people may think I am gay! I feel sorry for the straight guys who want to be flamboyant but are too scared to for fear of being label "gay". Oh them poor souls. Missing out on the gay life! :grin: I love it!
    There will always be ignorant c*nts. ALWAYS! Though it is not their fault, rather the upbringing the did or did not receive, and the religious dogma that is spewed out does not help either.
    But...On a good note....Yay for being gay! :grin: Why should we hate it? I mean...Come on! Robert Downey Jr! Damn he is soooooooooooooo HOT! :grin:

8. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I completely understand the frustration and confusion you are going through. I wonder the same thing: how can other guys know what it's like to be attracted to men? It's less of a choice and more of an inexplicable, deep feeling that I can't change or ignore. For years I was pretty clueless, but then it all started to make sense. I mean I usually don't strike people as being gay, and I generally don't want them to know, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm not straight. At the same time, I know it's foolish to expect people to understand, because how can they?

9. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It will definitely get better, there's no doubt about that. I think the U.S. this year is planning to legalize same sex marriage in all states. You have a flock of people coming out of heterosexual marriages as gays because back then they'd condemn you for it, and I'm still that's true in many places around the world. I believe that will change soon.

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is, like *sigh* "If I have to." Tolerant means you don't necessarily like it, just respect a truce. A much better attitude is "welcoming" as you're just as happy to interact with someone.

11. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course it can be frustrating but I have found that the most powerful thing you can do to change it is to lead an open, honest and good life. I'm from Utah and my partner is from Oklahoma. We both came out over twenty years ago. As you might expect we both encountered a great deal of the sort of thing you are speaking of. What you might not expect is that for both of us it dropped off considerably when we came out fully and continued to taper off until nowadays we hardly ever encounter it. People have a really easy time thinking hateful things about people they do not know. It's much harder to think them about decent people you know and care about--people change and they mainly change because they learn what gay people are really like, not from being told but from being shown.