1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I truly gay?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by AJ56, May 27, 2015.

1. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I'm pretty sure that I'm gay and trying to think of which of my friends to come out to first. I've already thought of a few friends that I know are accepting of LGBT people that I can safely come out to. But here's the thing: Is relationship/dating experience necessary to determine you're truly gay? I don't want to come out only to find out I'm not really gay. It sounds silly, I know. But is this necessary? Because I have no experience with dating or relationships. But I think I'm gay because most of my sexual and romantic fantasies are about men. Plus many of the things that seem to arouse straight men (boobs, butt, etc.) don't seem to affect me all that much. Despite this, I've heard that something that arouses you mentally (fantasies) doesn't necessarily mean that you would really enjoy it in real life. I'm a virgin, so I've never even had sex before. I don't know. Just tell me your thoughts on the matter.

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No.

Just like straight people, we don't need to have sex to reach a conclusion about our attractions. You may experiment and confirm it, but you don't really need to do that.
    Only you can tell what you are, but, judging by these words, it looks like you are gay.

3. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I swear we're like the same person haha. Also, I don't have much experience in that area. Still, I think I'm more than capable of determining my orientation. I mean I think you're absolutely right, if you are interested in other guys...then you're probably gay. Nothing wrong with that, I originally struggled with that same question for months.

4. HugasaurusRex

I don't know, are you gay? No one else can tell you whether you are or not but yourself. You are who you feel not what you are told. And no, relationships and sex has nothing to do with sexuality. I was 6 when I knew I was gay...And sex was definitely NOT in the equation then. I have not had sex with a guy since I was 16...So does that mean in the last 10 years I have "become straight"? Oh hell no! I am still gay. Sex does not define my sexuality...Only adds to it and makes it more fun...Mmmm Tom Hiddleston!

5. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well thank you for your answers. It is much appreciated.

6. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Now that I think about it, I think I'm actually bisexual. Because I can fall in love with a woman and I have before. Besides that, I can be aroused by women sometimes. It's so weird. Sometimes I have sexual desires about men (like when I originally posted this) but other times I have sexual desires about women. Just ignore what I said before lol. I said that because that's how I was feeling at the time.

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try not to worry about labels too much and focus more on actions. There are lot's of supposedly "straight" guys who do totally non-straight things when others aren't looking. I didn't need to have sex with someone or be in a relationship to know I am gay, but it took me a long time to get comfortable with it.