1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What makes a person arrogant?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Spacewalker, May 28, 2015.

1. Spacewalker

This question is kind of haunting me. I'm analysing my behaviour and other people's reactions on it to see if I appear to be arrogant. Bc for some reason I'm a bit scared I might seem like that. And I don't want that...
    So, what makes a person arrogant in your oponion?

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unwilling to give others credit for their ideas or work, unwilling to admit they're wrong or that others can have differing views and still be right, condescending, makes sure you know they're the best/smartest person in the room...basically my graduate advisor, which is why I'm getting the hell out of the program at the end of next month

3. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i'm arrogant my teacher says its because im so full of myself and want everything for me and talk about me and want to hear compliments about me and i wouldn't get in anything if it there wasn't anything in for me in it though thats selfish so im that too
    im a mean person too most of the time i just keep throwing dirty comments at people i like idk why i just care about them so much i want them to hear it in another way as i always give them love and they don't appreciate it much !
    at the end of the day i still say sorry and im still very nice to some people
    idk what did people say about you to say your arrogant hun?

4. Jellal

I 100% agree with this. Having pride in yourself, I don't think is enough for true arrogance ... it is doubting others and their capabilities to the point of blindness.

5. Tyrael

Pretty much everything that's been said above covers it.

Believing yourself to be right, refusing to acknowledge other peoples opinions on the basis that you already know they're wrong. Basically shutting people down and making them know you think they're wrong. Unwilling to cooperate with others or accept help/advice. Condescending is a good word to describe it. Quite selfish, and possibly aggressive in defending your opinions when you think someone is trying to undermine you.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Arrogance and false confidence both come from insecurity. Ultimately, arrogance, is a lack of vulnerability.

People who are confident and comfortable with themselves have no problems being wrong about something; they don't attach their self-worth to being "right", they're open to new understandings, and they realize that nobody knows everything. Arrogant people, on the other hand, have real difficulties with all of the above.

It goes, ultimately, to shame. Deep down, arrogant people fear they're incompetent, incapable, unloveable, or some combination. So the "thick skin" is formed to prevent anyone from finding the soft underbelly and, thus "the truth." ("truth" in quotation marks because, of course, it's a story the person is telling him or herself rather than something factual.

The only way to "cure" arrogance is to work on becoming more comfortable with yourself, developing confidence, and understanding the importance of humility. (Real humility, that is, not false humility.)

7. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *bookmarks this post for future reference*
    Exactly.

8. Gandee

Gandee Guest

This is a really good question, I myself wonder if I am arrogant sometimes. I can be a bit full of myself. But according to above posts, I'm alright. I can admit my own shortcomings (not outwardly though). What is "false humility" though? Is it thinking that everybody is right and thus you can't hold to your conviction or pretending to be humble but actually despising others? I've had plenty experience with the former and failed to stand up for myself plenty time. Not all advice is created equal, especially when the other person doesn't know full well your situation.
    So I guess it comes down to balance, knowing when you're right and acknowledge when you can be wrong.
    How many of us here can admit that our ego can cause us not to see the other side of the story?

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's as simple as shutting out any consideration that you don't deserve to be held up higher than others. You're allowed to recognize you're good at something, and even expect credit for your hard work. But as soon as you look down your nose at people you become insufferable.

If you worry that you are coming off as arrogant, you might just stop trying to compare your worth to others. Take care of your business and respect people and you will be fine.

10. Spacewalker

Oh wow guys. I didn't expect so many answers. I'm a bit smashed lol
    Thank you all!!:slight_smile:

I guess I feared that me being distanced toward others makes me arrogant. But obviously being arrogant consists of many different points I didn't take into consideration and also can't find at myself.
    I also feared wanting credit for what I do well makes me arrogant or sth. So I guess that's just human, isn't it?
    So thank you guys for preventing me to mix up being human with being arrogant!:slight_smile:

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you can't admit shortcomings to others, then you probably come across as arrogant. Humility requires vulnerability, and inability to admit your own shortcomings generally arises from a lack of vulnerability.

People who have false humility put on a show of being humble and vulnerable, but, inside, are judging everyone and not actually, authentically, being open and honest. They don't generally admit shortcomings and people have the perception of them that they know it all, or that they have to have the last word.

Not standing up for yourself is different. That's generally coming from a lack of self-esteem which, in turn, is coming from internalized shame. We all have shame, but it's a matter of how much the shame impacts our ability to be vulnerable and authentic.

This is really it, exactly. Ego gets in the way and most people have at least some issues with this. Arrogance is really an extreme form of that insecurity.

12. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    This. I think you have to be able to laugh at yourself in life, and not take everything so seriously. People who are arrogant have this idea that they have to be the best at everything, and if they're not, they think people will think less of them.

I think it's just the opposite. We're all human, and we're all good at some things and bad at others. I read an article recently about Rafael Nadal, and how he gets terrified during thunderstorms. That just made me like him even more. He's a superstar, maybe the best tennis player in history, he's hot, he has big muscles...and he hides underneath his blankie during thunderstorms lol.

13. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It depends on the eye of the beer holder.

Most of people are full of themselves. The arrogant is convinced that he is stuffed with greatness... Just like I am.

And the supreme stage is reached when you hear the bells of Charlie Sheen's church calling your name, and you know you do fucking belong there, halelujah, come to my bed sister and get your clothes off, let me fill you with greatness...

Also wearing fedoras, being called Michael and knowing film noir quotes makes you automatically arrogant.