1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How common is the pansexual label?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jax12, May 31, 2015.

1. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The reason why I asked this is becusse a friend of mine we're talking about how you can't assume a persons orientation; you have to ask. Obviously very true, but he also mentioned pansexuality, which got me thinking how common the term is.

I think gay/lesbian/bi/asexual/straight labels are the most common out there. What do you guys think? I also ask because I think he's straight (talks about dates with girls and whatnot) yet I wonder how did he know the pansexual term. If anything, he seems like quite an open minded guy.

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I only started becoming more familiar with the LGBT community and different types of sexual orientation a few years ago, but I didn't know what pansexuality was until I knew someone who was pansexual, so in my mind it's not as common of a term but that's just my experience.

3. Synthetik

I get the feeling that 'pansexual' was one of the first non-standard terms to be popularized, and so it acted like a forerunner to all these crazy new denominations where people seem to pick any prefix that suits them and stick it on the word '-sexual.' Personally, I find it very appropriate for the sort of general developing awareness in society of non-binary people, and it's a more all-inclusive term that accounts for those who do not fit into strictly male/female categories, and does not carry the same stigma of scorn that 'bisexual' often receives. I don't think I've met anyone under the age of, like, 25 who isn't familiar with 'pansexual,' and even if they've only heard it once or twice, the nature of the term itself is pretty easy to figure out.

4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My view might be skewed because my girlfriend is pansexual, but the term seems to be gaining in prevalence. I don't think I can agree that there isn't anyone under 25 that doesn't know it, because I know some really sheltered people, but it's probably more common than one would think.

5. Colorful13

for me, most of my friends familiar with the lgbt community are pan, including myself... I think it's pretty common.

6. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's starting to become more common. I learned that label right after straight/gay/bi

7. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I first heard the term last year but had no idea what it meant. Thankfully I have the Internet.

8. Tasmin58

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I doubt that there are very few people who are not pansexual at some time of their life even it is just curiosity. I know many gay men who are curious about women but over half are disgusted by the idea. I think we become less pansexual as we have partners of both sexes or genders but it depends how you feel beyond the sex or romance. I believe we are all on a sliding scale if it was socially acceptable for straight people to admit it. Even on the adult scene there is stigma against putting bi on a profile, I get lots of straight guys contacting me (my profile is male) as I list myself as bi. They only have basic trans identities so I leave that alone.

9. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's super common at my school. I know tons of people there who identify as pansexual, more than people who consider themselves bisexual in fact. During the school year I overheard some students talking about some guy who's pansexual and everyone knew what pansexual meant.