Feeling more and more isolated

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Spacetime, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Spacetime

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was very isolated for most of my teen years. I have been chronically ill since I was 8th grade and have spent my years since tired and in pain. I wasn't able to attend high school because of my health problems. I kind of got used to being lonely. I started college, and have been doing well with a mixture of online and on campus classes, but I've started to realize how little I know when it comes to interacting with people.

I try to be friendly and honest, but I'm so nervous that I'm afraid I just come off as odd. I feel like I've lost the ability to do basic things, like hold a conversation. I don't know when to speak or what to say. I don't know how to read people. I stutter and I apologize constantly because I assume that no one would want to spend any more time with me than is absolutely necessary.

I kind of feel like I've forgotten how to be a person, and it's just tough when I'm around others. :eusa_doh:

2. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Aw, buddy, I know how you feel :frowning2: (*hug*)

There are times when I isolate myself from the rest of the world, sometimes I wish that I don't have to talk to anyone at all. Eventually I have to come out and everything can be quite overwhelming.

You will probably come off as odd and awkward, but that's okay. Most people feel odd and awkward to some extent and they are actually quite understanding. However The overly friendly ones might come off as too strong and creepy...Also, you don't have to do all the socializing, sometimes the other party will initate and lead the conversation. When that happens, just follow suit, eventually you will feel more comfortable and talk at your own pace.

And if you find yourself unable to keep up with the convos, drop it and wait for another opportunity.

Anyway, it's tough, but it'll get better :slight_smile: