1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I make myself more comfortable with my sexual orientation?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Awesome, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok so I think I'm out at school and on Facebook. I found the courage to ask a girl to prom and we went together and it was awesome! We both had a great time. There is one thing that has been bothering me though. While I have completely accepted myself and am out to many people, I am still a bit uncomfortable with my orientation. Whenever I hear anything LGBT+ related, I get a bit anxious, especially if it is specifically about lesbians. I am not completely sure why.

At my new school I have been at this year, everyone is very accepting of LGBT+ people. At my old school, nonstraight people were gossiped about a lot and often looked at with mild disgust. It would be ridiculously suicidal for anyone to come out at trans there. There were lots of rumors about me being gay. The first time I was asked about my sexual orientation, I whimped out and said that I was straight. Every few months, someone would ask me and I would lie to avoid exposing my weakness and lack of confidence in myself that allowed me to lie in the first place.

I left my closet at my old school.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

I would like to be at least somewhat involved in the LGBT+ community, but I am still a bit uncomfortable. Being as socially awkward as I am, I haven't made many friends. Lately, though, I have been trying to come out of my shell. Prom was a massive victory in that way. However, I am still a bit uncomfortable with my sexuality. Any advice?

2. lovecraft

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmm, maybe get your feet wet a little bit? If your school has a LGBT meeting or GSA..go to an interest meeting without speaking up much? Or look for ones in your community. The website "meetup.com" has quite a few LGBT meet ups, especially for teenagers that you can try.
    Good luck!

3. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lovecraft, thanks for the advice! Once I actually did go to my school's GSA. It is hard though because it meets at the same time as another club that I really like, and this year I also signed up for another club at that same time. (I know, I can't be in every club.) I am pretty busy during the school year, but after this week it will be summer so my weekends will be completely free. I will look into those meetups you mentioned. My best friend is trans so maybe I could go to one of those meetups with him.