1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans & Losing My Patience

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Froot, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Froot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi guys, it's been a few days since I've posted here. A lot of things have been getting to me, but I thought I'd bring up one situation specifically where I really don't know what to do.

So we all know that Caitlyn Jenner has unveiled her new, well, everything! It's absolutely fantastic and I feel that she is paving the way to make the world a more aware and accepting place.

On the other hand, the subject has "broken the internet", with reactions that are both loving and hateful. Everywhere I go (youtube, instagram, news pages, twitter... basically EVERYWHERE) there is at least some mention of her. A lot of them I see are very accepting, and people tend to not mind her transition and some even give all their support.

But some people that I see... the comments and remarks are just really really getting to me. They're awful. While being entitled to their opinion (like saying "he" is a "science project", or a "freak")... it's getting really fucking difficult to keep seeing this. It's literally everywhere. I don't know how to keep myself from getting so pissed off that I can't stand it anymore. I'm already going through an episode of depression (hence why I've been distant) and seeing so many beyond hateful people on the topic of Transgender stuff... it's really difficult to keep seeing this all the time.

And, it scares the shit out of me, to be honest.

I'd like any advice you all have to give. Again, I don't know if it's good advice-giving material but I thought I'd at least try to cope with all of this.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Easy for me to say, but ignore it. Everyone is one their own journey, and it's ip to each individual to embrace their individuality, other be damned.

I have developed a great admiration for what she has accomplished. For building the courage to finally embrace herself and show the world who she really is. At first, I was skeptical and thought it was just a publicity stunt, given her relationship with the K clan. But watching her entire process, and what has blossomed, its significance is massive for the world.

She will do more to push forward the cause than anyone has previously. That's powerful.

So, ignore the naysayers and embrace all that's good with her development.

Best of luck to you!

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agree with all that OnTheHighway said. I'm afraid there are some very ignorant and hateful people out there, who would do much better looking in the mirror and working on their own flaws. I don't happen to think such people are the majority, but the acid tone of their remarks draws you in.

If you look at all internet comments, you will normally find strong and positive people weighing in against the low life idiots who have upset you so much. Try to take some comfort and strength from the fact that more people are with you and Caitlyn Jenner than against. Focus on that bigger picture, rather than narrow minded and spiteful invective. (*hug*)

4. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would try to avoid reading such comments if they upset me that much.
    You feeling upset, even if understandable, does nothing but to piss you off.

Look, I know how they see the issue... I know how because I've been sorrounded by homo and transphobic folks during all my life. You do need a great deal of selective deafness if you want to survive in this mad world.

Take it easy with the net and social media for a while. It'll fade away soon, don't worry.

5. sweetfemme90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am a cis woman and I feel very angry about the negative comments towards Caitlyn Jenner too. One thing I do have to remember is that a lot of people don't like the Kardashian/Jenner family because they are celebrity socialites who are all over the media and have reality TV shows for being famous, years ago it was all about the Osbornes, later the Hiltons, and now the Kardashian/Jenner family. Point is society loves to hate them. It just so happens that Caitlyn is transitioning so the public criticizes, pokes fun at, or degrades Ms. Jenner and the family even further.

Also anyone with the name Snoop Dog who gets media attention for weed smoking and whatever else, I don't take seriously. The point he was making is that Akon did something wonderful for a community in Africa I believe yet the media and the public focus on celebrity socialite drama. It just happens that Caitlyn is all the rage now. The thing is Akon didn't do what he did to gain media attention, he humbly gave what he had and I assume isn't interested in having people shine light on him for doing what he did. Caitlyn is trying to be herself and bring awareness to the public about trans folks. We will fight and let this be your time to shine. Trans people have fought for my rights as a lesbian so I in turn want to fight for them.

On how to cope...
    1. Never read the comment section of any website, it's only going to make it worse. The more you pay attention, respond, or shed light to haters, the bigger the platform they have. Let them stand alone with no one listening.

2. The whole freedom of speech thing means you won't go to jail for your opinions. I believe we are entitled to our informed opinion and not to ignorance. Freedom of speech is not freedom of consequence. So when people say something to you, stand your ground. You don't have to respect anything anyone says.

3. Acknowledge when you have activist burn-out. It can be very, very tiring. Take care of yourself, step back temporarily when you need to. Just do not lose connection to those who support and love you and continue to fight for trans rights and respect.

4. If you use social media, which I assume you do, unfollow/unsubscribe/unlike pages that give rise to the terrible things in the world. I had to leave some pages on FB about Feminism because it was getting to my heart. I am still a feminist but hearing about women being blamed for rape, or about women who call themselves anti-feminists always struck me the wrong way. My mental health suffered so I had to stop allowing myself to view mentally and emotionally harmful material, or at least what I could control.

5. Join a social LGBT group. I have been to several groups before and sometimes it's nice to join more of a social group that focuses on hanging out, having fun, and being yourself all at the same time. Although activism, social justice, peer-support, and discussions are important they can be very mentally and emotionally draining to us. Limit your time with those types of groups and go out there and try to have a little fun and make life be something enjoyable and let the sound of your happiness block out the hateful, hurtful words.

6. Spend less time on the internet!

6. kaotyc

I think people are more accepting than not regarding Caitlyn. At my job, three very manly men were talking about "did you see Bruce's transformation? She goes by Caitlyn now." "With a C, not a K." "She looks better now than before." It was all so positive and just...great.