1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"It's never too late" is a false statement.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by nativeofruby, Jun 4, 2015.

1. nativeofruby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Today, as I was having lunch, my godmother received a call from my grandfather saying that my 15 year old uncle fell from a height of 4/5m and injured himself pretty badly so they had to take him to the hospital. (I should point out that my grandfather lives 8h away from us and my uncle ran off to his mother's house, whom he hadn't seen ever since he was a baby, about three years ago due to my grandfather's alcoholic and verbally abusive acts).

This boy means the world to me. I grew up with him and I know for a fact that I'm the only one in the whole world that actually knows him and understands him and the one that he confides everything in. I promised him that I'd help whenever he needed me so, naturally, I went to the hospital as soon as I heard what happened.

Going there, I was relatively calm and very hopeful. I knew that he would recover but deep down I suspected of what happened. You see, he had a major depression, much like mine (the motives are identical), about a year ago, but I did my best to help him recover and I genuinely thought he did. But it was no surprise when the school called his mother and told her that two kids saw him jump off a balcony. He attempted suicide.

I spent 5h in the hospital today trying to get information on how he was doing but mainly trying my best to see him. I just wanted to be there for him.
    A nurse told me that he would have surgery in his knee and elbow and that a neurosurgeon was examining him to see if he had any major brain damage. I've had no news since I left the hospital about 20min ago. I drew Vulpix(my favorite pokémon) and a message in english (the only language we communicated in ever since we were children) in hopes that when he gained consciousness, he'd see it and know that I care, more than anyone ever. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to leave it with someone that would take it to him.

I've cried all my tears and my head is pounding as if an elephant was stepping on it.
    I should've realized that he wasn't recovered, I should have helped him. Now there's no telling if he'll be able to walk, talk, draw or write ever again. And there's absolutely nothing that I can do...

2. Sek

Sek

This is a very sad situation, I'm very sorry it has happened. But what has passed has passed. It's so easy to spend time dwelling on all the things we should've done differently if we had the chance. What might your uncle tell you if he saw you doing this? I'm sure he would not want you to feel responsible for his choices.

Please try to keep yourself calm until you know further information. I'm wishing you all the best going forward and I sincerely hope that he walks out of this without serious injury. (*hug*)

3. Lyana

I'm so, so sorry you and your uncle are going through this and I really hope he pulls through and recovers. It's so hard when someone you love is hurting.

It was not up to you to prevent this, emiliablackburn. You're young, and you're definitely a source of great comfort and support for your uncle. You're not the reason he tried to commit suicide, and it is in no way your fault. You can hurt, of course you can. But please, please try not to feel guilty. I know the feeling of helplessness is terrible... I've been there before... You're doing the right thing by talking about it here.

(*hug*)

4. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is terrible... I am deeply sorry you had to go through all this, and hope he'll recover soon, at least from the physical injuries. A soul takes longer to recover.

You are being right now the sunshine in his life, so keep shning for him : Take good care of yourself (food, sleep, ranting/venting when you need it), and keep in mind that is very hrd (and in some cases impossible) to try to save anyone from himself. You can (and knowing you a bit, I know you will) be there for him, but being there is not the same as getting lost there. Don't put yourself in any potentially dangerous situation to try to save him. I did it for someone very sick long ago, and I learned my lesson the hard way. I don't want the same happening to you.

Be there, but don't get lost there. Keep strong for him and tell him 'you do matter to me' as soon as he comes back. Even if you think 'he must know it', he doesn't : People staring at the void had forgotten their own names, 'cause that's what the void does to you...

This was NOT your fault, and don't let these thoughts confuse you : These thoughts are WRONG.

I'll be thinking of you both...