1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding teachers in Facebook?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by choirsmash, Jun 4, 2015.

1. choirsmash

I'm graduating tomorrow and I wanted to add my favorite teacher/mentor on Facebook. Since people on yahoo answers seem to think that any student-teacher relationship is sexual, I figured you guys would be better. So yeah we're really close and I have his number, I've texted him a few times. I'm going to add him after graduation, but I don't know how long I should wait to do it. I'm not gonna do it immediately but I don't want to wait to long, I've waited so long already haha. But yeah so any suggestions would be great

2. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is fine if he is no longer your teacher. I am Facebook friends with a teacher I had in middle school. I don't go to the school she teaches at anymore.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Each teacher is different. I have some that I had in high school on facebook. It really just depends on the teachers preference and the rules that the school has in place for that.

4. choirsmash

I'm probably gonna do it on like Saturday or something. Should I ask him beforehand if that's okay...or nah?

5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    After I graduated, a bunch of my facebook friends added teachers. I'd say it's okay if they're not teaching you anymore :slight_smile:

6. Oh Lilac

As long as you have graduated, then I think it is fine. No need to wait beyond that since it is a platonic relationship.

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally never would but that's fine if you do.

8. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I have two teachers from my middle school and my advisor from high school on my facebook (I was friends with her during my attendance in high school which was rather normal since Yr12 schedules were sporadic at times, pretty much my whole year added her because she was another life-line to get ahold of too) and I think as long as your reasoning is purely non-sexual than go for it.

I added my teachers because they had a great impact on me and I respect them a lot. I also don't think it's weird that you have your teachers number because by the time I graduated, I pretty much had all my teachers numbers because you really do rely on the instant advice, updates and information they provide especially in regards to tests and projects.

9. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have one of my primary school teachers on Facebook, and actually ran into him (not literally) at the mall sometime ago. Got a hello and a hug. He used to teach English but he has moved up the ladder and now he's principle! It's awesome, he was my favouritetest teacher ever, had a major crush on him, and as far as I know he's still a bachelor. But he's probably not interested in me like that so I will keep it to myself :grin:

10. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see a problem with that. I know plenty of people who are friends with a few of their high school teachers on facebook. They were actually already friends when they were still in high school.

Hell, we used to meet up with one of our teachers at his place on Saturday and Sunday nights to watch sports together haha. Looking back, that may have been a little weird.

11. Sek

Sek

It's fine to add a teacher on Facebook after you graduate, even if it was a sexual thing (being of age and it being healthy, of course). The rules only apply when you're at the school to protect you. I'd say go right ahead. :slight_smile:

12. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they decline, I hope you will not be offended. Some teachers I know have had to politely decline student and former student requests for policy and contractual reasons.

13. Spacesword

I have four teachers on mine since I was close to them during my whole high school career. It's fine if as long as there's no sexual reason.

14. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go for it; they can always decline. I added one of my high school teachers after graduation. A lot of people did.

15. AlexPanda94

AlexPanda94 Guest

I've added like 6 or 7 teachers/staff from high school on Facebook, I see no issue with it.

16. choirsmash

He added me haha, I got the notification like 10 minutes before I walked into the school. So when I saw him, he was like I added you on Facebook, so we can stay in contact on there. He told me to keep him updated and tell him everything haha
    Will do.

17. bajel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I love that he ended up adding you lol. But yeah what basically everyone here does is sent FB requests right after graduation, as in the day after. Or add them while you have them and then they'll accept the night of graduation. When my brother graduated, teachers from his freshman year finally accepted his request.