1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hate my life at the minute

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Closet88, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am so fed up with life lately. Hate to sound like I'm moaning because I know there are people a lot worse off than me. I have a job and earn enough money to afford to go out drinking every weekend and go on lots of holidays however this still doesn't make me happy.

So the major thing making me hate life at the minute is that I hate my job! I am 26 years old, have been in the same job for 4 years, and am unable to gain promotions at this job. I've tried but every time it's always the same "you did really well but we went for someone with that little bit extra". My job is quite far from home, so from leaving the house of a morning to getting home at night I am out of the house for 12 hours a day 5 days a week, which means I have nothing else to do apart from work. I don't want to move closer to my job because I hate the place where I work. Ideally I want a job in the city centre of where I live, however this is easier said than done. I have applied for so many jobs but it's always the same story. Most of my applications are ignored, if not I get a rejection email, and on the rare occasion that I get an interview it's that familiar "you did so well but unfortunately someone else did better" excuse. So I am just stuck in this endless cycle!

I try and put a brave face on but I am so annoyed lately. I put up a pretence of being this happy easy going guy but underneath the surface I feel so upset and worthless. I just want a job in my home city. I currently live with my parents and really want my own place, but again I can't do this until I have a job in my city. I wouldn't move to the place where my job is because I hate it there. So again I have this horrible cycle of feeling worthless and having to just carry on living a boring existence because I can't get a new job.

Anyway, that's my rant over. Just wanted to write this down to see if it made me feel any better.

2. TheSeeker

Sorry you're having a tough time, it sucks to feel like you are stuck in a dead end. Have you thought about moving cities? That could possibly work, although there is a start up cost. I recently moved 3000 miles to a new state just to accept a meager wage increase (better job though). I understand your frustration, and you know you can talk to me.

-TheSeeker

3. Basic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can relate. At one point I was working 12 hour days and commuting 2 and a half each way. I'm down to 8 hours and an hour and a half commute each way. Still hate it. Hopefully I will be going back to school this fall. Tomorrow will be the official 50 day mark before I give my two weeks. In the mean time I'm actively trying to get laid off.

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm looking for a job myself, so I know how frustrating it is. You might look a level below some of the jobs you're applying for. The pay may not be as great but you increase your odds of getting hired, and you might make up for the lesser pay on the money and time you save commuting. Gas is expensive.

One thing I'm trying to do is network, since lots of jobs are filled through networking and connections. Are you on LinkedIn? If not, get it. Are there any young professionals groups or groups for your particular line of work? If there are, join them.

Hit me up if you wanna talk about any of this.