1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I go to pride?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by IcarusRising, Jun 7, 2015.

1. IcarusRising

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My area is hosting a pride parade/festival and I really want to go but I'm not out to my family and I am worried that the would somehow find out. I also worried about seeing someone I know there that would judge me for going to pride without being out to my family. Should I do it?

2. bibeauty28

bibeauty28 Guest

I'm attending my first pride fest in October and I am super excited about it! But, before I was out to everyone I wouldn't have dared gone for fear that my family would some how find out. So I get where you're coming from. Truly I do.

Look, if you feel like you have to go or you'll just burst then I'd say go for it. And if you think you would be a ball of nervous, paranoid energy then, hell, go incognito and wear a wig and big sunglasses or something so that no one will notice you -- that could be fun!! Maybe make up an alter ego and go as your beautiful, unencumbered lesbian self!

If I would have thought about that in my closeted years I 100% would have done that and not missed out on the fabulous spectral that is Pride Fest.

Go! Have fun! :thumbsup:

3. IcarusRising

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you I will!:icon_bigg

4. guitar

I went to pride with my first boyfriend before I was out to my family. It's a difficult thing to recommend because I was very much wracked with anxiety the entire time, even though I was planning on coming out soon anyways (and did).

Pride is a neat experience but I've never fully experienced it. I've been to a few related events, but haven't been to the parade, and only got to check out a few shops / booths at world pride in Toronto last year.