1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you deal with being the only queer person around?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by bibeauty28, Jun 9, 2015.

1. bibeauty28

bibeauty28 Guest

I came out to everyone I know this year. I guess I'm done riding that 'coming out high'. I thought I would feel whole when everybody knew but I just feel more alone than ever.

So, I went online to search any and all things lgbt+ in my town.. There is not one lgbt+ group I can join (small town east of Orlando FL), no centers I can visit.. There isn't even a gay bar here. :icon_sad:

How the heck am I going to meet anyone? At this point I'm not looking for a romantic/sexual relationship, but to have queer friends would be lovely. How do I find them?

My family is accepting of me being bi (just told my mom last month). But they are still trying to get used to the idea. So I can't really talk to them about lgbt things. And even if I did, they wouldn't be interested or have anything to say in return. They are all straight and could care less about that stuff. They're neither for it or against it. They're just neutral and uninterested.

Maybe I'm making my queerness something bigger in my life than I need to? I don't know. All I know is that I found the lgbt+ community, and it pumps me up, and I have no one to share that with. Also, I feel like no one wants to hear it.

What can I do to improve my life? How do I meet queer people to befriend? Should I tone down my queerness and try to be more satisfied hanging around with only straight people? If so how do I learn to accept and be fulfilled with just my straight side? :bang:

I would love some input here. Thank you to anyone with absolutely ANYTHING to say on the matter. It will so help.

2. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off HOLY CRAP if I didn't know better I would swear that that is a picture of my cousin.

Everyone's definition of rural varies. Some people call an area of 20k rural. I grew up in a rural area where there were literally more cows than people. Either way I would suggest maybe a dating site or two and you will probably find that there are people closer than you think. However, I would suggest that you be willing to drive to them. I find that people who live in town are less likely to come to a rural area. The bigger the city the less they are willing to drive.

3. choirsmash

I feel the same way in a general sense. I do have a few queer friends, though. I don't see them much anymore since school is out. The closest free lgbt support group is an hour away from me and the other one is run by a psychiatric office and it's not covered by my insurance, so it's $50 per week. Right now, I go on her a lot since I have friends on here that I talk to. I became a full member so I could use the chat room to talk to people. I guess that's my suggestion, apply to be a full member so you have people to actually talk to. It may take a little bit to actually get full member status. Hang in there until then

4. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wonder if there aren't more queer people in towns like yours is because they tend to leave for greener pastures. Maybe you should too. You didn't go this far just to leave it there did you?

5. choirsmash

Honestly, every queer person in my area makes a pilgrimage to Ptown at some point (usually annually or more than once a year) haha
    I'm hoping to take my own trip to Provincetown, MA when I get the money and someone to take the trip with me

6. bibeauty28

bibeauty28 Guest

to redneck - nope, that's my picture, lol. I am not looking to date at this time, otherwise I would look into that. I just want queer friends to hang out with.

to choirsmash - I may apply to be a full member but idk.. I'm not much of a chat room person. Heck, I'm not even much of a forum person either. I have enjoyed EC thus far though. You all are so friendly and have such great advice! It has helped fill a need.

to Monraffe - I just moved here last year any really don't want to pick up and move anytime soon. Eventually though I can see myself getting a newer, more dependable, car and driving to Orlando where there are more lgbt things to do and people to meet.

Thanks everybody. Your suggestions helped. Also, its nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.You guys are great!

---------- Post added 24th Jun 2015 at 01:41 PM ----------

OMG, RedNeck, I just realized you live in Fort Smith AR. I lived there for a year with (my then best friend) Jason Adams - The morning weatherman (I forget the channel). Do you remember him at all? He's not there anymore though.

If my head was on straight at the time I would have loved it there, lol.