1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm the only guy on my dad's side

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jax12, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To put in in simple terms, I'm the only guy that can carry on the family last name. All my cousins on my dad's side are girls. I will not be carrying on the last name through natural means (a heterosexual life). Not a problem though, there are other options if it gets to that point.

Not really seeking advice, but can anyone else relate? I'm not too concerned about being gay anymore, but coming out to my relatives will be a rather challenging one.

2. Knave

I'm in the exact same situation as you. I hadn't even thought about it until I saw this post. I have a lot of cousins on my grandfathers side but his only 2 brothers never married so all the cousins have a different last name.

This should make it a bit more interesting when I come out to the family. Though I suppose they'll be a bit happier since I'm pan and they still have a chance of me having a kid.

3. Feln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm in exactly same situation too, I'm the last who could carry the name, but you know what? Why do they expect it from me? People can not control your life... Even if you'd be heterosexual you could just change your name and it's your own bussiness.

4. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never understood why women are expected to abandon their last names while at the same time men are expected to carry a torch for them. The whole thing seems so silly to me. My partner extinguished his family name by marrying me. We joke about it all the time. Anyone who would think this a serious matter is an idiot.