1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dislike Driving :/

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Taly, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was going to put this in the 'Chit Chat' thread and chalk this up as some normal conversation starter but.... eh....

I'm 16... I have my learners permit; and I've been doing some practice driving sessions with my Dad. Overall, I'm pretty good as a driver for someone who's only gotten behind the wheel 3 to 4 times.

However, I have some anxiety... I seriously dislike driving. It is the most dangerous thing you will do in your average daily life. Needless to say, I'm afraid.

It doesn't really help that I'm taking a Drivers Course next school year.... Even though I'd probably be prepared in terms of driving ability, I really do not like driving. I don't like taking tests, especially with people I would suspect to make it harder for me to drive and those who would critique me when I already feel vulnerable on more than one level. I know this sounds a little stupid but :frowning2:... I don't trust people on the road, and I actually don't fully trust myself behind the wheel yet, either.

Do any of you guys have/had any anxiety or fear of driving? I know this is anxiety I should, and (I know) I will get over myself - I just like hearing peoples thoughts and insights about the topic... It eases my mind.

#1 Taly, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2015
  2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Her driving is scary it is. I have my permit and my dad always makes me nervous in the car. My mom isn't as bad but my dad drives me crazy like he's a total back seat driver you know what I mean?

3. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh yeah, that'd be a big distraction for me sometimes. Luckily, my Dad usually lets me spectate and critique myself in driving lessons - after giving me a few pointers and rules I should abide by.

But the idea of people distracting and telling me what to do and how is just..... auuugchk.

(*hug*) Feels are for you.

4. Feln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's funny coincidence...
    I have my driving class in half an hour... And being honest? I hate driving... I'm doing it because they told me it will be important and useful in life. I've been in the car for more than 10 hours and absolutely we are not meant for each other.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Driving is usually pretty nerve-wracking for new drivers. There is a lot to keep track of at first, and you're hurling down the road at a pretty good speed with a 5000 pound piece of metal. I think most people were probably a bit nervous when they started out.

But... for nearly everyone, once you get the hang of it, it isn't a scary thing at all. In fact, most people get to the point they kind of enjoy driving, at least at first.

6. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Mmm... I share your feelings on this to be honest. I've been driving for about 3 years now and I still havent gotten fully used to it. While I prefer not to, (you definitely arent alone in this, dont worry!) I am able to drive if I have to, and i've gotten much better since i originally started. I think thats how it goes for most people and im sure it will for you too. Being nervous is a perfectly natural part of learning to drive. Overcoming that anxiety comes with practice and experience. I'd recommend traveling a familiar route once a day or so as thats how I became accustomed to driving on a regular basis. Don't freak out over the test either!~ it's fine if you dont get it on your first try, theres no rush. Even if it turns out Drivings not your thing in the end, theres always public transport and other options :slight_smile:

7. Foz

Foz Guest

Can't say I share your same feelings! I've loved everything with engines for as long as I can remember and I've been driving Cars, Quads, Bikes since my feet could reach the pedals! I absolutely love driving, more so on the track, I love the adrenalin and oh god the noise is superb!

I was somewhat nervous about my test though, but it was no where near as hard as my instructors test for the Institute of Advanced Motorists. That was sooo hard!

8. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @Chip and kageshiro
    Thank you, I feel a bit better about driving now.

@everyone

Thanks for your replies, I like seeing your opinion. :3

9. Aura

I thought I was the only one! Everyone is always so excited to drive but I'm just here with so much fear to drive. I hate it bc I feel like driving will give me a different freedom but until I can figure out how to actually like driving there's no freedom only the exact opposite, like the fear is caging me uuugghh

10. wolf of fire

I've just turned 17 so I can start driving and quite frankly the idea scares me. I give sarcastic remarks to relatives who offer me money for lessons when their reason for it is I can "so how much are you going t o give me for my tattoo when I'm 18?" "You want a tattoo?" "Does it matter the point is I can"

11. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate driving! It's not as much a fear of crashing, more so just the fact that not every single person will love driving.

Right now I just have my learner's. But by the end of summer I need to get my G2. Solely for the convience factor, as te bus takes a long time to get to school, and next summer I don't want to limit what jobs I can apply for based on walking distance :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Harp Grey

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate driving and I'm not feeling comfortable at all behind the wheel, it makes me really anxious. Wondrously enough I have my licence, I got it at the third try. I try to avoid driving as much as possible. I walk, take the bike, the train or the bus. I don't feel I need to drive, I have never been in the situation "If only I had a car now!" because there are ALWAYS other alternatives for me. I never want to move somewhere that makes a car necessary. I regret spending so much money on that #€%&/( licence.

So you're not alone.

13. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to be terrified to drive. My mom is a very critical person. She's the type to scream and I'm the type to mentally shut down when being screamed at. It was not a good combination. I used to have full-scale panic attacks every time I had to drive anywhere. I took drivers' ed at 15 and that helped because our instructor was great, very calm. But I was so afraid to drive with my mom that it wasn't until I was 18 that I took the test (and failed, but the examiner had a questionable reputation) and 20 when I passed it on the second attempt.

I like driving for the most part and I don't have as much trouble with anxiety as I used to. I vastly prefer driving alone and I get anxious about left turns and avoid round-abouts at all costs. There are way too many idiots behind the wheel these days. Still, there's nothing quite like cruising 60 down the highway with the radio turned all the way up.

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like driving despite having done it for 9 1/2 years now. Not because it's scary or dangerous (as much as it can be) but because it's stressful drudgery having to fight through traffic, uncomfortable because of the erratic motion, and depressing remembering every turn of the tires is money going bye-bye.

Put me in a small airplane any day. I'll fly for you. :love:

15. Gandee

Gandee Guest

I don't drive, I ride a motorbike. I really really dislike riding and my mum has to force me.
    Within seconds, I turn into a speed demon.
    I think I don't have a fear of driving/riding, but the fear of parking!

16. foxspark

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey, I just got my license a few months ago:eusa_danc. I have anxiety that fades on and off while I drive. I sometimes get nervous on the highway, but most of the times my anxiety is unpredictable. I think alot of what I'm feeling comes from my experiences when I had my permit, and my mom had me drive on very difficult dangerous roads, when I didn't feel comfortable. It REALLY helps me to listen to music or sing when I drive though. It makes me feel a lot calmer, especially when I'm driving alone.

17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ya I don't really like to drive that much. Especially since my state is the 36th best driver state.

18. Hobbes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am with you. I know how to drive, but I don't enjoy it. I cannot drive in a big city. (I get panic attacks.) My plan, and you can do this too, is move to a city where there is public transit. While I might have a car, I'd probably still use the transit more. With driving you'll get more and more okay with the idea of driving.

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sucks, easy to believe though. I recently got the opportunity to drive in downtown Dallas (including in the infamous "Mixmaster" highway interchange) and it was super-stressful. You sort of have to fight for positioning, but believe it or not, the drivers in TX are much more courteous than where I'm from. You just have to keep your cool and take it slow; people will let you in. :slight_smile:

20. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I said to my mom on Wednesday that I don't want to drive anymore, because I'm too anxious, have too much road rage, and because of people who do stupid things on the road. A woman only just missed my car that day as we were turning into another road, because she was in a hurry and overtook me on the wrong side. Luckily I was able to go into the other lane. And I had my 5-year old niece and my mom in the car with me, so I was responsible for their safety. Idiots like that cow just sends my blood pressure through the roof and I want to get out and bitch-slap them. *Deep breath*

Anyway, I also dislike driving. I've been in two accidents. One serious, one not so serious. And that just adds to my dislike of driving. But on the other hand, the independence is nice. If I need to be somewhere, I simply get in my car and go there, I don't have to ask someone to take me. So there's an upside to driving too. I know driver's tests are scary but just remember to breathe and don't rush anything. Stick to the speed limit and obey all traffic signs and rules and you should be fine. Good luck, you can do it! :thumbsup: