1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My step-dad wants to buy a gun, but I don't trust him?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Skaros, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Since this is not LGBT related, I felt like I should come here for some advice on this.

I'm very sure that my step-dad is bipolar, but I don't think he's willing to admit it. His family does have history of mental disorders. His sister has schizophrenia and his father stabbed his mother! She survived, but it's one thing that definitely makes me worried. He often gets angry and gets into 'mild' arguments with my mom. I usually sense some hostility in the room when they are both together.

I have actually made some bold statements to him about how I'm worried about him getting a gun because he sometimes gets so angry. The issue has been brought up again and he doesn't seem to be concerned, so he is really planning on getting a gun. Our neighbors have like 40 guns and his son was in the marines, so he has been asking them for advice on what types of guns to buy. He even recently went to a gun show.

He's a conservative who actively watches Fox News, so I'm not surprised he'd want to get a gun. Now, I don't think people shouldn't buy guns. I would buy a gun myself if I was a homeowner. However, given the fact that I don't trust his mental state, I'm just not sure I feel at all comfortable with the idea. He's even asked me if I want him to tell me if he bought a gun, because he knows I'd be a little worried about it. I don't mind having a gun in the house. I just mind him having a gun.

Is there anything I can talk to him about or do you think I'll be fine? I want to think that I'm over-reacting, but I feel more worried about his well being than I do about my own safety. I never know what may set him off one day or how badly he would be set off. Afterall, his family does have history of mental illness.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey sweetie, I understand your concern :frowning2:

I'm a gun owner myself, and I really don't trust other gun owners for the most part. I see them as mostly white, male heterosexuals who imagine all kinds of threats even though they are the least likely people to be attacked in all of America, whereas women, people of color and LGBT folks are like the most likely to be attacked. (We're also least likely to own a weapon, curiously.)

So, while I definitely support armed defense, I don't imagine most practitioners as armed defenders. I see them as high functional psychopaths waiting for a good excuse to kill somebody. Or maybe not a good excuse. But something that'll get them acquitted anyway.

I wish I could give advise. I don't know what your situation is or how blunt you can be safely.

I would definitely let him know you're worried about him. Maybe ask something like "am I going to be safe, if you have a gun?"

~ Adrienne

3. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Why should anyone even have a gun that can do anything other than shock or tranaulize anyway (making them sleep is a safer way to defend yourself)? And also, they might not be able to get a permit for a gun (if that is done in your area). Hopefully they will not be able to get one.

4. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks. I guess I can talk to him a little more. :slight_smile:

I actually live only a few minutes away from the Chicago city limits, so buying a gun wouldn't be that hard. We live in a pretty nice area, so I don't think we'd ever really need to use a gun.