1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In mental illness more common among LGBT folk?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Damien, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Here at this wonderful and supportive forum, I've noticed quite a few topics which begin with the OP saying they want to, or are having thoughts of, taking their own lives. I am actually amazed that I, too, am one of these (years ago I NEVER thought it would come to this), although I think I did so anonymously at the time, but I really don't care if everyone knows now. Yep me too, I often have thoughts of quitting my sad and stressful life. There it is. Anyway, just wondering what others think of this. Are Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender folks over-represented in terms of having mental illness, as compared with the rest of the population? It would appear so.

2. BelleFromHell

I think we are more likely to be mentally ill. It's not our orientations or gender identities themselves that can cause mental illness, but the depression and alienation that comes with not fitting into the norm. Some trans people also deal with gender dysphoria when who they are on the inside doesn't match what they look like on the outside, and I'm sure that can take a toll on their mental health as well.

3. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, if society became more accepting, maybe the incidence of depression / mental illness in GLBT folks would subside.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fact.

But also there are simple neurological pathways that are not working in an individual's mind regardless of gender/sexuality. We are just a part of the population and suceptible like anyone else.

5. Acm

Acm Guest

I think the discrimination and hardships LGBT people face can contribute to mental illness.

And for trans people, gender dysphoria often seems to cause a lot of other problems, like depression and anxiety.

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Because of bullying (whether child or adult), alienation, financial discrimination, etc., yes, without a doubt I'd say so (I also happen to be a worthy example, *laughs darkly*).

Outdated, but whatever: "A whopping 41% of people who are transgender or gender-nonconforming have attempted suicide sometime in their lives, nearly nine times the national average, according to a sweeping survey released [four] years ago."*

Gay people get picked on in school... Bi people are turned down because their straight/gay partners don't understand them...
    Society makes demons of us and we are left on our own to think about what we did wrong. It would be surprising if we didn't turn out to have more emotional and psychological issues.

I hope you get better, Damien! Hugs (*hug*)

*Transgender study looks at 'exceptionally high' suicide-attempt rate - latimes

7. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people