1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating Other Women While I'm Still Kinda Closeted?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Starwind78, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am still trying to come to terms with my attraction toward other women. I'm only 70% sure that I don't want to just tough it out and remain closeted until I (theoretically) find the right man.

Since this is in flux, is it even okay to try to date other women? I've heard about people being burned by people still questioning and I don't want to be that person.

Also, I look and act pretty hetero to where the vast majority of people would never even suspect. How do I make my orientation more clear without being a creep?

2. confusedbubble

Maybe you could wear a little lgbt badge or search on internet for a lgbt bracelet there's a few that are nice and not too bright but just get the message out. I bought one its leather with eggshell rainbow colour's intertwined in it, it's not too bright but gets the message out to people who know

3. Lyana

It's okay to date women, yes... And it's important to be honest. You do run the risk of "burning" a woman if you go in, get in a relationship, and then decide to drop everything because you can't "do" bi, you don't want a relationship with someone who isn't a man.

But if you go in and are honest about yourself -- you're questioning, you're not out, maybe you even want to experiment --, the other woman, unless she's into lying to herself, shouldn't be "burned." She'll be able to decide whether dating you is something she wants to do or not. You'll be limiting your options... but you'll be drastically reducing the risk of hurting someone else.

Just out of curiosity, why are you contemplating living as if you were straight, and never coming out? Being straight is probably easier, but hiding who you are, that's hard. -- And why are you thinking of dating women, if you would rather not?

As for your question regarding letting other women know... I come off as straight based on appearances only, too. Around girls I'm interested in, or LGBT people I want to tell I'm "family," I just talk in a way that it's pretty hard to mistake me for straight. I talk about a crush, for example, or an LGBT news story that touched/angered me... That kind of thing. With someone I'm interested in, I flirt. Gets the point across eventually.

Rainbows are also a good idea, if you want to be out without even really mentioning it. Badges, pins, bracelets, t-shirts, whatever. I walked around with an AIDS awareness ribbon pinned to my bag for months earlier this year and was picked out by LGBT strangers in a different country as being "one of them," interestingly enough. People pick up on these things when they're looking.

4. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    As always Lyana gave a great answer and put things better than I could. The only thing I'd add is that maybe you could take the time to really think about whether you're ready for a same sex relationship right now, because yeah, you could end up really hurting someone if you get close and then pull back because you're not ready yet. Even if it's not personal, it's hard for people not to take it personally. It happens often enough that it's a cliche unfortunately.

I struggled with the same thing so I totally get it, but there's no rush either. Also from the way you described waiting for a guy and trying to "tough it out" makes me think you wouldn't be very happy if you closed off the part of yourself that's attracted to women.

5. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Damn, I didn't even think about wearing LGBT support stuff! That is really clever. Sure, people could also think that I'm a straight ally, but it does give a decent hint that I at least could be gay.

I want to date other women because, to put it bluntly, it's about time for me to start dating. I have only one date under my belt and no sexual contact with anyone whatsoever like I've lived as a nun, lol. And even though this coming out thing is scary, I am actually more excited by the prospect of dating women than men. I am beginning to think my apprehension and/or apathy about dating men isn't just because of general nerves and introversion, but because I prefer women.

6. confusedbubble

Get some lgbt bling on and get yourself out there the world is your oyster.
    The rainbow stuff can be a brilliant conversion starter even if people think you're a straight ally I find they usually endup asking then you can tell them your sexuality

7. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ya know, I'm thinking simple identifiability might be why I always perceived gay people to wear more jewelry and accessories than average.

And why my parents and people like them generalize that all gay people are "screaming it from the rooftops", so to speak. Well of course it has to be advertised a bit, just for the simple fact of finding other members of the LGBT community.

I don't know how I didn't notice it before!