1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my teacher?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by The Aquarius, Jun 22, 2015.

1. The Aquarius

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I know this is a pretty controversial topic, so please try and take this seriously and give me some reasonable advice please.

I've had a crush on this one teacher for a while and I haven't told anyone about being in the closet yet. Recently I found out that I am moving a couple provinces away and I have been thinking about coming out to him and admitting my crush to him. I know this could be pretty crazy to him but my main thought about it is why not but I'm still scared thinking about what his reaction might be. I know he likes me as a student because he talks to me in the halls sometimes and he has been my coach and teacher for more than a couple classes.

The thing I'm mostly having trouble with is just how and if I should tell him. I've thought it through more than a dozen times and I'm thinking I'll start by asking him if he can talk for a bit and maybe ask him to keep it between us despite if he will or not. Then I'll just try and explain to him that I have had feelings and try and gather myself when thinking of what to say about his reaction.

I know this just sounds like I want to come out to him because I'm just some high school boy with a crush and that is completely true but it is also because I trust him to know and I feel close enough to him that I want him to know first because I know he will be able to be more mature and understanding than someone else.

2. Manitoban

If you want to come out to this teacher go for it as long as you think it's safe. Though being from the province next door with most of the same characteristics im sure you'll be fine. Unless you live in one of those small religious and very conservative towns.

As for saying you're attracted to him? I would suggest you don't say anything about that. Regardless of your sexuality that might make him feel uncomfortable.

That's my 2 cents anyhow good luck. :slight_smile:

3. Simple Thoughts

I second that motion

4. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you do, don't have any expectation that he'll be able to keep it 'just between us.' Speaking as a newly qualified teacher I can tell you that at least in the UK we get told never to promise to keep a secret. The reason for this is because of safeguarding/child protection.

However if you want to tell him by all means do so. Just don't have any expectations regarding your attraction to him.

5. Manitoban

This is true. Good chance the guidance counselor may be informed as well for future reference. And as pointed out that would be their job to do.