1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaking up is hard to do

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jackofalltrades, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Jackofalltrades

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So yea as the title of the thread says breaking up is hard. I know I have been away from EC for a little bit now because a lot of great stuff has been happening in my life that includes a boyfriend YAY!! But as with a lot of good things they must come to an end. So that's why I'm here I'm trying to end my relationship and i would like to do it in the most dignified and respectful way possible because if it wasn't for him my life would still be where it's was and the friends I've made and the things we've done together would never have happened and at the end of the day he will always be a very close friend to me and I would hope he would see me as the same so yea any help/advice would be great.

2. atoadaso

atoadaso Guest

DISCLAIMER: I've never broken up with anyone before.

Now that's outta the way, why not just tell him all that? Tell him you're really happy he could be a part of your life, but that you feel that stage of your relationship should end. Make sure he knows how much you value his place in your life, & that you don't want to get rid of him, you just want to change the dynamic.

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree, I think you should tell him exactly what you just said. Do it in person. Don't do it in public or at the end of hanging out.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the key word in your posting was respectful. If you have been close and he thinks everything is okay between the two of you it may hurt him, but in the end, it's better to be honest.. and sooner, rather than later. It's a respectful thing to do.

I agree that you shouldn't do it by text or e-mail because that is really disrespectful and unkind, so brace yourself to tell him in person.

Don't dwell on all of the things that are wrong in the relationship or fault find as that's a really negative way to end things. Personally, I wouldn't go down that route at all. Just concentrate on the simple fact that he is not the right person for you. At the same time, remind him how much you appreciate him and tell him that you are glad you met and hope to remain on good terms as friends.

5. Jackofalltrades

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I'm not going to lie it is nice to know that there are people that you don't know that are there for you to ask questions and to fall back on when things get rough. I will try to keep this updateted as of right now I have yet to break up with because of how busy we both have been but even then the more I think about it the more it bothers me oh well I guess I'll have to treat it like a bandaid and just do it.