1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internship/Job Hunting Woes

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by FuelsMySong, Jul 3, 2015.

1. FuelsMySong

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I go to a university in Canada and we have this thing called a co-op program which basically involves students signing up for internships/jobs (most are paid, a few are unpaid). There is no guarantee of the student securing a job, so it's not like a practicum wherein the school places you somewhere and you work there; you actually have to send in resumes and cover letters and if the employer wants you, then they hire you and if they don't, well then you don't get a placement. The program also requires you to pay a large sum of money (as if tuition and textbooks are not enough damage on the bank account).

I'm an Arts/Social Science student and I knew I wanted to do co-op before I even entered university because all the stories I heard about people being hired before they've graduated, making money while going to school, and gaining work experience in fields they are passionate about attracted me to the program. A Bachelor of Arts is something that is not very marketable in today's society so I thought that having work experience would give me some edge over other job seekers once I graduate and perhaps even secure me a job without having to pursue a Master's degree. I thought that my experience with the co-op program would be positive; that I would sign up for jobs that excite me and get hired by an employer that I would enjoy working for. However, my experience has been largely negative. I thought that co-op would help me find a job that is relevant to what i want to pursue in the future or at least a job that may not be relevant to what I want to do but will help me realize that I should be pursuing another field.

All I've experienced so far include the processes of writing cover letters, sending out resumes, and preparing for my interviews interfering with time I should be utilizing for my studies, the possibility of graduating later than necessary, and interacting with employers who clearly want people who have had at least one year of experience in the field, which is something I do not have. I no longer see the appeal of co-op especially because the majority of job postings are things I'm not interested in nor want to pursue. The program has done a great job of reeling students, like myself, in through its advertising but now that I'm in the program, I regret signing up. I feel like co-op is more tailored towards science students. I say this not out of personal opinion but out of keen observation of those around me. Co-op should prepare you for your field and this is exactly what it does for science students. My friends who are in the "hard" sciences have worked for employers who utilize the skills my friends have gained in their biology, physics, computer science, and chemistry classes. For Arts/Social Sciences students, it is a much different story, what I learn in my Psychology classes have not been necessary for any of the jobs I have applied or interviewed for. A high school student who has more relevant experience than I do could sign up for these jobs and win the position over me.

Overall, I'm just very discouraged that even after two semesters of applying to jobs and doing interviews, I still have not secured a job and even worse, my grades are dropping because of the stress that goes along with applying for, interviewing for, and failing to attain a job. I have asked for help, done practice interviews with the co-op program coordinators, and revised my resume multiple times on the advice of the coordinators. I just feel like there's no hope for me. I feel like money has been wasted because of me signing up for this program and I should have just never signed up for it in the first place. I'm sorry, I just don't know where else to post this and I just needed to share what I'm feeling.

2. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've heard similar comments recently about the uni coop programs and how effective they are, or not... That was from someone studying engineering, so I can see it being extra challenging in humanistic/arts studies.

I suppose the letter/resume writing practice and going through the process of applying is a somewhat useful experience even if it hasn't shown immediate success.

That was through the coop people - did you ever consider visiting the career counselling centre or whatever it's called, to look at careers/occupations that would be a good fit, rather than look at it through the filter of what placements are available?

Any jobs on campus, for example if you're studying psychology, maybe your uni has openings for lab/research assistants?

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Having worked with a couple of people trying to pursue a co-op as part of a degree, it was tough going. I can easily imagine the frustrations you are feeling.

If I am reading this right, this is a 'red flag' for me. If you are ending up paying extra for a separate Co-op Program, for a work experience that lasts a couple to a few months, to be honest, it is not all that worth it. You could actually end up paying far more than what you are getting back for it. It can be a better experience if the Co-op is an integral part of a degree such as in Business Administration, Accounting, or Engineering.

I wonder, did you speak with anyone about joining the Co-op program, explaining your educational background and what you would like to do? If so, what did they say?

It is unfortunate that your co-op experience has turned out in the way that it has. Try not to be too discouraged or down on yourself because of the experience. If you can, leave it behind you and try finding a job on campus, as the poster above me has suggested. A lot of Canadian universities have a program called work-study which is usually run out of the Financial Aid office. Having a job through work-study might be a good start.

Plus, and sometimes, professors will seek Research or Project Assistants giving a student the opportunity to work with them on a research project. It might be worthwhile to pursue something like this as well.

The idea of a degree in Arts/Social Sciences not being marketable, is actually a misconception because it is really about what you make of it and with it.

Any degree will give you a set of skills (including transferable skills and knowledge) that you can directly apply to an opportunity in the job market. Of course it depends on what you would like to, what you are passionate about, and where you see yourself, however in Canada (generally speaking) your soft skills (some of which you will gain from your education) count more than your actual degree.

It changes somewhat if you want to enter a regulated profession, i.e. a profession where you have to register with a regulatory body in order to practice in that field (such as Engineering, Nursing, Clinical Counselling, Architecture, etc...), or if you want to enter a field where you need a certain designation (such as Accounting), because then you will need to have a certain educational background and have completed internships or some form of placements, but generally BA in the Social Sciences, will prepare you well for the job market.

In the Canadian context, it is often said that your degree/experience will get you the interview but your soft skills will determine whether you get and maintain the job.

Being enrolled in Psychology classes, you are gaining a set of skills and knowledge that will lead you onto a certain career path. What are you hoping to do after you have completed your degree? Where do you see yourself?

As you know, Psychology is divided into different specializations, such as mental health and well-being, social psychology - not sure if you are already taking classes in a particular specialization but that could give you a starting point in chartering your career path, and perhaps also give you an insight into different volunteer opportunities that you could pursue. While unpaid, your volunteer experience can count as much as having an actual job experience and it gives you insights into potential possibilities as well. :slight_smile: