1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to pride festival

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by OfTheKokiri, Jul 5, 2015.

1. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I would like to go to this pride festival in the city but my anxiety is trying to drag me away from it.

I don't drink alcohol. Like zero as in maybe two glasses in my entire life. This is for several reasons, partly due to my medication I'm taking and partly because my family has had alcoholism on both sides.

I have felt that not taking part in the drinking culture has left me isolated from social settings (partys, bars etc.) and while looking at a lot of the events listed for the pride festival a lot take place in bars. I know I don't have to drink at a bar but I feel so out of place.

Then there is my social awkwardness that will lead me to questioning "what should I do now?, how do I meet people?, who would want to interact with me? Am I doing that resting angry face again?"

I would be alone at the events. Is this weird?

There are events like documentaries and talent shows and poetry readings and stuff that I would be more comfortable going to...but once again is it weird to go alone?

I want to go to meet people like me. To understand myself better and to be more comfortable.

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. DAXIII

Go to places that cater more towards your hobbies and interests. There is nothing saying it is mandatory to go to a pride festival. I went to two and found nothing I could relate to at all. Also there are plenty of fun things you can do that don't involve the use of alcohol.

3. DeJe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not all Pride festivals are filled with drunk people. The one here where I am is very community focused and "tame". Of course the one I attended in a much larger city a few times (Baltimore) had a fair amount of drinking...but also a good amount of non-drinkers. Are you able to volunteer to help with the parade and/or festival? Our Pride organization here has a Facebook page and a website where they have been posting meetings for potential volunteers to become involved. It would give you the chance to help out the community while meeting others. I have nobody to go to Pride here with and that is what I'm planning on doing so that I can meet others. Also check with local animal shelters or other organizations-they often need volunteers to help with their involvement in the festivities.

4. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've gone to Pride Festivals multiple times, and always by myself. I've seen other people there alone, so I don't consider it weird.

And as DeJe said Not all Pride festivals are filled with drunk people, I personally haven't noticed any the times I've went.

5. Gratitude

Hi! I was relating to your story, because I would like to go to the city for Pride, but would rather not go alone. And I don't drink either; however, that's more of a non-issue for me. I keep telling myself, I should get in my car and go! I do many other things by myself without a problem, so why should this be any different? Probably be a lot of fun......:slight_smile:

6. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just do it!
    Thats what I had to tell myself the first time I went.
    First time I went I was hesitant to go & nervous about it (while a bit excited too), When I headed out, the thought of turning the car around & heading back home did cross my mind...but my over-riding thought was "I'm going". I made it to the train station with no more 'bad' thoughts. Once I was on the train heading into town most of the nervous/negative thoughts were suppressed & I felt happy/excited. Once I got to the pride festival, all those feelings disappeared fully, never to surface again :sunglasses: I even felt totally happy/like I belonged there...

7. Van

Van

I say go! There will be so many people out there, I'm sure after a while you'll forget that you went alone. You might even find new friends. :thumbsup:

8. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks eveyone! I will go and perhaps I will report back. The idea is to meet people like me so I'm excited and nervous and a bundle of what ifs all together.

Thank you again for the confidence boost!