1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Friendly Companies to Work For??

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Kodo, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm trans, and will soon be looking for a job - hopefully at a company which is LGBT friendly so that I can comfortably present as male at work. This is specific to the USA. My question is:

Does anyone know of major brands/companies that support LGBT employees, or that have anti-discriminatory policies in place? Especially ones that include transgender people, as we are often (unfortunately) overlooked...

The only one I know of is Starbucks, but I'm gonna need more options that that.

Thanks in advance.
    -Peter-

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I wonder, what kinds of jobs are you looking for?

If you wanted to, you could do bit of a search online to see if you find some news articles about LGBTQ friendly or supportive companies, which you could check out further then, and see what kinds of employment opportunities they are offering at the moment. For example, the Huffington Post had an article on '44 Pro-LGBT Companies You Could Support This Holiday Season' in November of 2014, which would be worthwhile to check out. It includes a range of companies, and there are probably a couple or a few that you could be looking further into (depending on the kinds of opportunities you are after).

Earlier in 2014, Huffington Post also published an article that provided some details on policies and practices of eight companies on creating diversity and inclusion in their workplaces. The article also includes a link to the Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index which allows you to do a search on a company and gain insights into their non-discrimination policies.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't really comment on other countries, but in the UK, Stonewall (the LGBT charity) offers accreditation to companies that are LGBT friendly. Stonewall accreditation is highly prized by employers who take diversity and equality seriously. So if you live in the UK and want to know more, check out Stonewall's website first.

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The fact of the matter is that a wide majority of the major corporations in the US provide such protection. I work in the finance industry and I am unaware of any major players that do not provide such policies. Currently 89% of the Fortune 500 have sexual orientation in their non-discrimination policies; 66% include gender identity. Generally if you are looking at major companies you shouldn't be hugely limited.